Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

What date works best for you?

March 26
4%
April 2
4%
April 9
No votes
April 16
8%
April 30
4%
May 7
58%
May 14
23%

Total votes : 26

Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby KeithK » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:53 am

Since one person asked, and to celebrate the glory that is spring, and the demise of winter*, it's time to plan the big official unofficial not-sponsored-by 14ers.com Spring Gathering!

Please vote for the Saturday that would work best for you. Since Easter does not fall until the 24th, April is pretty much wide open, and I've added dates into May as well. You may also chime in with a potential location and it doesn't have to be a 14er. When suggesting a location, please consider the following:

Trailhead accessibility
Difficulty of route
Distance of route
Avy danger

We've always tried to plan these things to allow for anyone and everyone to participate; my suggestion this year is Democrat and friends, but it will be a simple majority vote this time around, based on the top 5 suggestions. I'll let the poll run through the end of February to determine the date, then we'll mess around with the location during the month of March.

Thanks for playing!

*underlined selections may reflect the extremely prejudiced opinion of the author.
Last edited by KeithK on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Snow is dumb.™

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby MountainHiker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:36 am

For me March 26 is out. We have tickets for Great Big Sea in Colorado Springs the night before :D
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby dmccool » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:46 am

Kite Lake loop would be fun. Maybe Missouri Gulch - Bel/Ox or Missouri?

I put my lot in for March 26 - spring break for teachers! (but i'm flexible)

Dan
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby gonzalj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:54 am

March 26th is out for me because of my brother's birthday. Anytime in april works though and the suggestions of kite lake or Bel/Ox combo or missouri sound cool to me. The only other suggestion I would have would be a class 2 in the san juans like sunshine/redcloud or handies. Any other ideas?

Postby crossfitter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:24 am

Missouri on April 16th might be a good choice. If the snow conditions are right, the north face couloirs would be a fun alternate route.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby KeithK » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:44 am

I wish I would have added "Just consider Horn Fork Basin on March 19-20 the Gathering", as many will be planning for that weekend, and it certainly could be considered if enough people prefer that idea.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby Yalegirl09 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:21 am

crossfitter wrote:Missouri on April 16th might be a good choice. If the snow conditions are right, the north face couloirs would be a fun alternate route.

Love this idea!!!!

Postby tmathews » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:42 am

We just did Bel/Ox and Missouri for the Fall Gathering in 09, so I'm disinterested in that idea. What's your criteria for selecting a spot? Someplace easy to access by vehicle so we can have quick access to multiple campsites, food, and beer?

As far as the dates are concerned, I'm open for any of those. Nice to see you posting again, Keith!

Postby KeithK » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:01 pm

tmathews wrote:We just did Bel/Ox and Missouri for the Fall Gathering in 09, so I'm disinterested in that idea. What's your criteria for selecting a spot? Someplace easy to access by vehicle so we can have quick access to multiple campsites, food, and beer?

My criteria is:
Trailhead accessibility
Difficulty of route
Distance of route
Avy danger

Which, of course, eliminates much of the Sawatch, given a person's definition of those factors. Past winter/spring gatherings have been: Elbert, Silverheels and Fourmile. These all provided 2WD accessibility, relatively easy daytrips, and decent after hike restaurant choices. I'm not opposed to the idea of Missouri Gulch, but that road may or may not be passable depending on early spring snowfall, and those routes are all big days in summer, let alone on snowshoes. Most people do them with an overnight in the winter/spring. I've always viewed the gatherings as a way for people that are new or inexperienced to get out on the trails with more experienced folks, make some new friends and hiking partners. And of course, drink beer. :iluvbeer:
Snow is dumb.™

Postby emcee smith » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:07 pm

How about Humboldt? I did it from just below the 2wd trailhead last April and it was very manageable. Not much camping opportunity though.
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"

Postby tmathews » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:21 pm

KeithK wrote:
tmathews wrote:We just did Bel/Ox and Missouri for the Fall Gathering in 09, so I'm disinterested in that idea. What's your criteria for selecting a spot? Someplace easy to access by vehicle so we can have quick access to multiple campsites, food, and beer?

My criteria is:
Trailhead accessibility
Difficulty of route
Distance of route
Avy danger

Which, of course, eliminates much of the Sawatch, given a person's definition of those factors. Past winter/spring gatherings have been: Elbert, Silverheels and Fourmile. These all provided 2WD accessibility, relatively easy daytrips, and decent after hike restaurant choices. I'm not opposed to the idea of Missouri Gulch, but that road may or may not be passable depending on early spring snowfall, and those routes are all big days in summer, let alone on snowshoes. Most people do them with an overnight in the winter/spring. I've always viewed the gatherings as a way for people that are new or inexperienced to get out on the trails with more experienced folks, make some new friends and hiking partners. And of course, drink beer. :iluvbeer:

Huron from Clear Creek/S. Winfield would be a nice option, but that's road-dependent, too. That would be nice because it leaves the Three Apostles open for others (and the Refrigerator Couloir). What about La Plata? It would depend on the road conditions, too, but a few miles up the dirt road from the standard TH, there are a lot of camp sites past the private property and a big area near the turnoff for Sayre's Gulch. This would open the option of hiking up the road to Mt. Garfield and Grizzly Peak A (and Mt. Ouray, a 12er) for some folks, as well as Sayre's Benchmark, Blaurock, etc. Humboldt's east ridge would be cool, too, but camp would have to be set up somewhere else so people could access their vehicles easily. There's always Grays and Torreys, but that would be a FUBAR with as much traffic as they get, but maybe from the Montezuma side or something.

Postby tmathews » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:25 pm

emcee smith wrote:How about Humboldt? I did it from just below the 2wd trailhead last April and it was very manageable. Not much camping opportunity though.

Ah, you beat me to this. I also thought about Challenger Point or KC. Anyone wanting to do something more challenging could climb the Kirk Couloir or the Outward Bound Couloir. Mt. Adams is also accessible from Willow Lake.

Although, I don't know how a huge 14ers.com crowd would be welcome in Crestone since we've been pretty vocal in our opposition in renaming KC. :shock:

Or maybe we can just do Pikes from the Crags. :wink:

Next