Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sawatch - Jan 15

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Sawatch - Jan 15

Postby CO Native » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:38 pm

My anemometer is a pretty cheap one I got at Target. Cableas sells them for $40. However I have tested it on calm days holding it out the window while driving. Seems to be pretty accurate. A whole lot more accurate than guessing at least. REI carries some Kestrel ones which are supposed to be better but they are significantly pricier.

Sounds like I should have gone for the Sawatch instead. Lackawanna was plan B but we decided to give Buckskin a shot.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby wooderson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:15 pm

slynn4_13run wrote:Sorry all, Kiefer and I decided to bail at the last minute and stick closer to home. Hope you all were successful and had a great time!

No worries, although I was really looking forward to hiking with you guys (and also not being the only female!). :) Hopefully we'll get to meet up for something else in the near future.

It was a really fun day... Virtually no wind, mild temps, and everyone was successful.

Terry, it was great climbing with you and Brian!

Sarah

Postby climbing_rob » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:27 pm

mattpayne11 wrote: Yeah, conditions are pretty crazy tomorrow, so my buddy and I are sticking close to home too.

Sunday: Snow likely before 11am, then snow and areas of blowing snow after 11am. High near 25. Wind chill values as low as -12. Windy, with a west northwest wind between 34 and 40 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
??????? If anyone bailed because of silly weather reports, that's too bad. Fantastic day today in the Sawatch. Yeah, a bit breezy, but mostly sunny, no precip (well, a falke or two up high, off and on), mid teens temp at the highest point in CO, downright warm at 10K feet.

Postby Yikes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:15 am

climbing_rob wrote:
mattpayne11 wrote: Yeah, conditions are pretty crazy tomorrow, so my buddy and I are sticking close to home too.

Sunday: Snow likely before 11am, then snow and areas of blowing snow after 11am. High near 25. Wind chill values as low as -12. Windy, with a west northwest wind between 34 and 40 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
??????? If anyone bailed because of silly weather reports, that's too bad. Fantastic day today in the Sawatch. Yeah, a bit breezy, but mostly sunny, no precip (well, a falke or two up high, off and on), mid teens temp at the highest point in CO, downright warm at 10K feet.

wow, that is surprising. i could barely keep the SUV on the road driving across South Park with the wind gusts.

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Yikes wrote:
climbing_rob wrote: If anyone bailed because of silly weather reports, that's too bad. Fantastic day today in the Sawatch. Yeah, a bit breezy, but mostly sunny, no precip (well, a flake or two up high, off and on), mid teens temp at the highest point in CO, downright warm at 10K feet.

wow, that is surprising. i could barely keep the SUV on the road driving across South Park with the wind gusts.
Yep, me too; the drive home last night through South Park was indeed interesting; that stretch from Antero Junction to Kenosha is notorious for wind. On elbert, we measured 40MPH gusts, nothing too bad. And on the summit it wasn't as bad as that.

Postby Yikes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Thought I would post our winter route from Saturday. Our route is red, std summer route is blue. Note that we went further north before breaking treeline. Avy danger was pretty low on our route; there was one steep slope right at treeline that you would want to avoid in the worst of conditions, but things were pretty stable on our outing. Our winter route didn't feel as steep as I remember the summer route being. On our ascending traverse to the ridge, I think we went a little too high and threaded through bigger talus/blocks. On the descent we found a better path lower down where the talus wasn't as large.

Yale Jan15 2010.jpg
Yale Jan15 2010.jpg (195.03 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Previous