Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sherman Saturday 1/22?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sherman Saturday 1/22?

Postby jagiammaria » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Would anyone be up for a trip up Sherman this next Saturday? As of now it's just me and I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable solo.

Re: Sherman Saturday 1/22?

Postby CDR242 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:38 am

Sounds interesting! I'm tentatively in!

Postby SurfNTurf » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:53 am

Sent you a PM, I'm most likely in as well.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby R1200GSdriver » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:06 am

jagiammaria wrote:Would anyone be up for a trip up Sherman this next Saturday? As of now it's just me and I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable solo.

I would like to go as well, weather/conditions permitting. :D PM sent
It's better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=191416187552879

Postby rfinegan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:44 pm

Which trailhead/route were you thinking of doing?

Postby jagiammaria » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:38 pm

rfinegan wrote:Which trailhead/route were you thinking of doing?

Definitely looking at doing the Southwest Ridge from Fourmile Creek. I want to try to avoid as much avy terrain as possible. Judging by the picture and description of those who did it last Thursday it doesn't look like there is too much snow, but who knows what this next storm might add.

Postby jrs1965 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Very doubtful that I could "escape," but I am very interested to know how far/if you can make it all the way to the gate on 4 Mile road?

Postby Mountain Ninja » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:36 pm

jrs1965 wrote:Very doubtful that I could "escape," but I am very interested to know how far/if you can make it all the way to the gate on 4 Mile road?

Last Thursday, they had it plowed about a mile below the Leavick site, as Bill Middlebrook states on the Snow Route of Sherman, so we hiked in about 1.5 or 2 miles to the gate. Still, overall this was a "short" winter 14er ;)
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Postby CDR242 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm in, any thoughts on a carpool?

Postby jagiammaria » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:18 am

CDR242 wrote:I'm in, any thoughts on a carpool?

I'll be leaving from Silverthorne, but would be willing to work something out if anybody else is leaving from there. I'm thinking about starting about 7, any thoughts?

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:06 pm

I'm still tentatively in, pending a doctor's appointment Thursday for a foot issue. If I get the all-clear, I'll be heading up Saturday morning from Denver. Carpool more than welcome!
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby rfinegan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm definitely interested in coming! But with all the new snow I am hesitant as to how safe the climb will be - CAIC says the area has high avalanche danger right now (http://avalanche.state.co.us/index.php). Thoughts?

Next