Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

January Quandary IV

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: January Quandary IV

Postby YooperJonKornely » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:22 pm

My plan was to go up and see how far I can get tomorrow on Quandary. Looks like I'll have some company... besides the goats :lol:

Postby Rosom314 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:27 pm

-1 I'm gonna bail and go skiing. Best of luck to all of you! Take lots of pictures!

Postby coloradokevin » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:52 am

Sigh. Unfortunately I'm going to have to miss this trip. Work has been running late this week, and I'm just now heading to bed. Since it is nearly 4am now, I doubt that a 5am wake-up call would do me any good.

I guess I'll catch you guys on the next peak! Have fun, stay safe, and take lots of pictures for me.

I'll be heading up to the James Peak wilderness for some skiing today, once I roll out of bed around 11 am. So, if any of your late-risers are looking for something to do, you might bump into me somewhere between the Moffat Tunnel and Rogers Pass. :)

Postby specmiata37 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:06 pm

The weather Gods smiled upon us today. Incredible. Thanks for the set up.
"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."
John Muir

grenouille verte
Colorado Cajun

Postby kansas » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks again, Al! Great day on the mountain. The west ridge was...entertaining.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby livetothemax96 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:29 pm

It was alot of fun, didn't make it too the summit(not enough time at elevation lately + had skis on my pack and 8 pounds of rigid plastic on each foot). Despite not making the summit and having a miserable ski decent that i was not prepared for it was a great day, with great weather, great people and a great mountain. \:D/
whats life unless you live it?

Postby coloradokevin » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Glad you guys had fun out there today, and I wish I could have been there. As I said before, my work schedule made the 5am wake-up call impractical today.

I ended up skiing to Roger's Pass Lake (JPW area) instead today, but was wondering how things were going on Quandary. Weather in the James Peak Wilderness was quite windy, and I'd guess that the gusts were well over 40mph on my side of the divide. Fortunately the tree cover really made things nice for me, and I barely noticed even a breeze in the forest... the parking lot was another story entirely!

Postby Brian C » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Spot all the 14ers members! (harder to tell on small photo but there were a bunch)

IMG_2918.jpg
IMG_2918.jpg (50.67 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Brian Thomas » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:35 pm

Mount Silverheels as seen from above the clouds today
Attachments
silverheels.jpg
silverheels.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 542 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby crossfitter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:50 pm

Fletch wrote:Could anyone tell me what conditions were this morning? They sound good from the other posts, but I just wanted to make sure. Any photos would be appreciated. We're headed out tomorrow morning. Thanks!!!

Weather was extremely foggy below ~12,000 ft until at least 7-8am. Very light snow with negligible accumulation and almost no wind at around 5:30 am. Weather cleared to blue skies and moderate winds (sorry, I have no ability to estimate windspeed) by 8-9 am. Clouds moved in again around 1 pm as wind speed increased, with nicer weather coming back around 3-4 pm. Quite a bit of unconsolidated snow in many places, with significant wind loading on SE aspects and I am told also on NE aspects. Found plenty of windcrust on southwesterly aspects but fairly variable snow conditions as well. The East ridge trail is well snow packed from the summit to the saddle and from the end of the saddle down, but the saddle itself is almost completely barren. The East ridge upper bowl has very sparse coverage. Didn't take any pictures of the standard route but I do have panoramas of the north star/drift/fletcher basin
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby EatinHardtack » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Had a good day. Reminded me that I have to get back into shape. Skied from the summit, wasn't that good.

We drove back to CO Springs afterwards and saw 3 SAR trucks on Hoosier Pass. Also saw Flight for Life flying over Hoosier Ridge. Anyone else see this?
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby SurfNTurf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks to everyone who attended, it was a great time. Definitely felt the effects of this being my first 14er in about three months. Couldn't have asked for a better day, we got a little bit of everything weather-wise.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

PreviousNext