Mt Kilimanjaro and Colorado

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rptraveller
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Kilimanjaro and Colorado

Post by rptraveller »

Hi everyone,

I am Rae, new member to this forum, looking for any input on the following -
1 - Anyone planning on doing it this yr - Sept /Dec? Would love to discuss tour ops / route differences /join a group if possible. Am still doing my research but looks like Zara, African Walking Company, Tusker trails are some good options. More recommendations welcome

2 - In addition to the training program of hiking and walking - (avg hike of 10 miles a week, no major elevation gains where I live), I am hoping to do Pike's Peak in late May - how much of a help would that be? Any other hikes in CO besides PP that would help? I could spend a week in CO in May, getting some hiking done.

FWIW I have done Machu Picchu in 2007, felt the effects of altitude but was able to make it to the top - slow and steady.
I did read thru some recent posts on Kili b4 posting this, the gear-related and tour op related posts were very helpful..thanks!

~Rae
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Mt Kilimanjaro and Colorado

Post by fleetmack »

I did Machame with Zara in Sept/Oct 2010. I tried to be as thorough as possible in my trip report:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Advice - do a couple of very long hikes with lots of elevation gain close to when you go. We did Snowmass as a day hike and Uncompaghre/Wetterhorn in a day as well for prep.

I'll be happy to answer any questions... feel free to PM with any questions. Exciting, eh?
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Rae,

Congratulations in advance! My wife and I are kicking around the idea to do Kili in September. We've been toying with the idea for about 2 years now and have put it off a few times. Hopefully this will be the time. I have not given it any serious planning as of yet, so I can't be of much use to you right now. Probably would do the typical Machame or Rongue routes though. When I do research it though, probably starting next month or March, I'll start with the trip reports and forum topics right on this site to see what others have done and their recommendations, and then move into more serious planning. For now you can search this site for trip reports and old Kili threads in addition to the replies that I'm sure you get on this thread. Maybe it will work out for us to coincide a trip, though I won't have any plans determined until at least March. In any event, good luck!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Pikes Peak via Barr Trail from start to finish is excellent training for Kili.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

fleetmack wrote:I did Machame with Zara in Sept/Oct 2010. I tried to be as thorough as possible in my trip report:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Advice - do a couple of very long hikes with lots of elevation gain close to when you go. We did Snowmass as a day hike and Uncompaghre/Wetterhorn in a day as well for prep.

I'll be happy to answer any questions... feel free to PM with any questions. Exciting, eh?
I leave this Sat to do Kili with Zara via the Macheme. I've found fleetmack's TR to be very helpful in addition to the info they sent me. If you have any more questions I can give you more details in Feb.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

I highly advise hiking a few 14ers out here in the month or so before your Kili trip. Hiking Pikes or whatever in May won't hurt, but really won't help much either if your Kili trip is 5-6 months later. What I'm advising is simply to try to get out here (CO) in the final month before your trip. The particular 14er really doesn't matter, but if you can get out here for a week and climb 3-4 of them (or high 13ers are fine too), you should be golden, and a good step ahead in acclimation.

Sure, plenty of flatlanders never come to CO first and are fine on Kili. But you'll have a better chance of being fine if you do get to CO and get high.

And don't let folks downplay Kili's difficulty. Yeah, its a walk. But its a high and very cold walk. Its very cold because generally you'll head out on summit "day" around midnight, and it gets colder as you climb higher plus it gets colder because you're hiking into the coldest part of the wee hours, put those two effects together, and wow, I think I was colder on Kili's summit "day" than on Denali's summit day.

That all being said, Kili might very well have been my favorite overall experience on a high mountain. tons of fun. we used the Marangu Hotel, and couldn't be more pleased.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Any hiking you can get in in advance will be beneficial. When you sign up for your trip - stay away from the quicker climbs. When we did Machame we paid for the extra day to make it 7 days. What this does is make the long day before summit day into 2 easy days at an elevation that helps you acclimate. This not only increases your chance of a summit but increases the odds of enjoying it instead of feeling like crap.

My trip report:
http://www.summitpost.org/kilimanjaro-m ... utm/493811
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
butterflyer
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by butterflyer »

i havent climbed it but try adventure consultants
rptraveller
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rptraveller »

Thanks everyone for responding with helpful tips..

fleetmack - Thanks for sharing your report. I will certainly reach out to you as I have more questions, if you don't mind?

Wish I lived in CO - It's great that you guys are also considering Kili around the same time. I am also in the same place you are - wrt planning, so who knows we 'may' just happen to meet, or even be in the same group!

Barry Raven - Since I have not done Pike's peak ever, is late May (long weekend) a good time? How much snow and ice? I was trying to find trail conditions for May and have had no luck so far...

davebobk47 - Good luck with your trip...Will await your return for more information on your experience

climbing_rob - Thank you so much for the advice on "practice hikes". I have the one hike in May but never thought of doing a week's worth before the kili hike. I'll also chk out Marangu Hotel

MountainHiker - Thanks for sharing yout trip report. Will read thru and if you don't mind, send you my questions...?

butterflyer - Thanks I will check out Adv Cons as well...
doc1911
Trip Reports (0)

Post by doc1911 »

I climbed Kili this past November. We used Tusker Trails. I cannot recommend them enough. They are without a doubt them most professional guide service on Kilimanjaro. They have excellent equipment, the staff was professional and the food was great. The guides where very knowledgeable and the lead guides all go through a rigorous High Altitude First Responder Course and they are the only ones that carry a Gamow Bag. All I can say is that if you don't use Tusker I hope they are not on the mountain when you are. You will role into camp and see them and be pissed you didn't use them.

As for training, I came from home at 300 ft and made without any significant issues, but I used Dymox. If you live in a place with any significant elevation and can train a bit with a pack you will be fine.
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

CMC members have used Marangu Hotel off and on since 1957. I've used them for 6 different CMC climbs, with #7 coming in March ( http://www.maranguhotel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Excellent service from a long time guide service: in ownership of two different families, together or separately, since 1907. They began guiding on the mountain in the 1930s. Their guides are well trained. Food is good.

Suggest getting the Lonely Planet guidebook titled "Trekking in East Africa." Lots of good information about all the routes, and other info about Tanzania. I'd also suggest not going in November/December as that is generally one of the rainy seasons on the mountain. I agree that a climb of Pikes Peak in May isn't much help unless you go within 3-4 months. Getting out every weekend and staying active during the week is good. Steve
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

doc1911 wrote:I
As for training, I came from home at 300 ft and made without any significant issues, but I used Dymox. If you live in a place with any significant elevation and can train a bit with a pack you will be fine.
Disagree. 19K is a lot more iffy than 14K. We had a thread on this a couple months ago when a local Aspen celebrity athlete got sick on KIlo. And this person lived at half its altitude year round. A lot of people tried to 2nd guess what went wrong, but sh*t happens.