Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14ers.com Android Developer?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

14ers.com Android Developer?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:27 pm

I'd like to develop a 14ers.com Android App that provides an "off-line" means for people to carry routes, trailhead and other information in the field. I've had several developers approach me in the past but it didn't feel right and I don't want to develop something just to get it out there. Most notably, the app must be able to self-update route information from 14ers.com database info. I don't want to simply hand over a set of static data to the developer each time there's a change on the site. I'd like the app to be able to get updates from 14ers.com, in addition to general app version updates from the Android Marketplace.

I've spent the last few weeks thinking of whether I want to develop it myself or not. Well, having owned a software development company, I know that I can't do everything myself. Between 14ers.com and other stuff I have going on, I really don't have much time for phone app development.
Soooo....

If you're an experienced Android developer or work for a company that does commercial Android work and would be interested in developing a 14ers.com Android app, please let me know. I'd be willing to pay for some development and/or work out an arrangement via the fees that may be charged for the app.

If your interested, I can be reached here.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: 14ers.com Android Developer?

Postby The Joe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:52 pm

Maybe an iPhone app??? That'd be cool.... \:D/
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:29 am

The Joe wrote:Maybe an iPhone app??? That'd be cool.... \:D/

That already exists, hence the need for an Android app.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby 14erjoe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 am

A 14er app already exists for Android. Search the market for '14ers' or click here for more info and screen shots. I've been using this app for months now and I've been very happy with it. It provides route/approach descriptions, driving directions to trailheads, weather info, and a 14er map. The info is very accurate and is from Gerry Roach's "Colorado Fourteeners". There have been a number of updates which indicate that the developer is active and good about keeping info up to date.

Postby tmathews » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:42 am

14erjoe wrote:A 14er app already exists for Android. Search the market for '14ers' or click here for more info and screen shots. I've been using this app for months now and I've been very happy with it. It provides route/approach descriptions, driving directions to trailheads, weather info, and a 14er map. The info is very accurate and is from Gerry Roach's "Colorado Fourteeners". There have been a number of updates which indicate that the developer is active and good about keeping info up to date.

Bill's looking to develop an application based on this website, not on Roach's guide. It'll be based on the content here.

Postby The Joe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:54 am

MUni Rider wrote:
The Joe wrote:Maybe an iPhone app??? That'd be cool.... \:D/

That already exists, hence the need for an Android app.

I was only able to find 2 apps. "Colorado 14er" by Alpine app and "Fouteeners" by Bit3. I don't believe either are associated with this site, are they? I have tried "Colorado 14er", not impressed. Is "Fourteeners" any better?

I was hoping for an iPhone app associated with this site.
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"

Postby 14erjoe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:11 am

@tmathews: I just don't see a need for an app that is constantly syncing with 14ers.com. I'm pretty sure the 14ers have been in the same place for a couple hundred million years and routes/trailheads rarely change. The real value in the app is getting route info and trailhead directions when you don't have service, which the existing app already does. If you have cell service then you can just go to 14ers.com on your phone. I wouldn't want an app running on my phone that's constantly syncing with an external database as it would drain my battery and reduce performance.

Postby tmathews » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:29 am

14erjoe wrote:@tmathews: I just don't see a need for an app that is constantly syncing with 14ers.com. I'm pretty sure the 14ers have been in the same place for a couple hundred million years and routes/trailheads rarely change. The real value in the app is getting route info and trailhead directions when you don't have service, which the existing app already does. If you have cell service then you can just go to 14ers.com on your phone. I wouldn't want an app running on my phone that's constantly syncing with an external database as it would drain my battery and reduce performance.

Maybe you don't see the need for one, but that doesn't mean that others won't find value in it. If you don't want it, don't download it. Simple. Plus, it's likely to be free.

Postby mattpayne11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:37 am

tmathews wrote:
14erjoe wrote:@tmathews: I just don't see a need for an app that is constantly syncing with 14ers.com. I'm pretty sure the 14ers have been in the same place for a couple hundred million years and routes/trailheads rarely change. The real value in the app is getting route info and trailhead directions when you don't have service, which the existing app already does. If you have cell service then you can just go to 14ers.com on your phone. I wouldn't want an app running on my phone that's constantly syncing with an external database as it would drain my battery and reduce performance.

Maybe you don't see the need for one, but that doesn't mean that others won't find value in it. If you don't want it, don't download it. Simple. Plus, it's likely to be free.

I tend to agree with Joe, but I guess it would depend on the utility of the app. For example, if it could sync up trip reports or trailhead status, etc. that might be pretty awesome.

Too bad I don't have a clue on how to code something like this - because I think there would be a real use for it if done right.

Postby Markwise » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 am

mattpayne11 wrote:I tend to agree with Joe, but I guess it would depend on the utility of the app. For example, if it could sync up trip reports or trailhead status, etc. that might be pretty awesome.

Too bad I don't have a clue on how to code something like this - because I think there would be a real use for it if done right.

I love Android, so this thread excites me. I too wish I could just code this myself to help and pitch in.

I think you, Matt, have hit upon a great use for this app. Something that would make it incredibly simple (and quick) to get not just the standard static route info (+ photos!, something Roach's app doesn't have) but to get the constantly updating Trip Reports, TH Status and other goodies from this site and then make them available offline. Put all that together and you get the best of Android and the best of Bill's site all together. Woohoo!

So here are my "feature requests/ideas"
1. Make the awesome 14ers.com Online GuideBook available offline, route descriptions and photos and all. Along with this, the Android dev could find a way to make the route photos easily navigable from within the app, something the average Joe could even browse while on trail (not that we should technically need that, but its a great app idea!)
2. Make the Trip Report database available on the app and make it possible to download specific TRs offline.
3. Make the other updating info like TH Status, Current Conditions available.
4. Get the NOAA links easily accessible in the app.

Any other awesome ideas? This is exciting.

Mark

Postby CHWitte » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:51 pm

Possibly a lost and found part of the app so items left on 14ers could be updated quickly and returned to owners, maybe even on the same day on the mountain.

Postby MountainAx » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:32 pm

I've done some modest Android development and I'm intrigued by this thread, not that I'm signing on to do the app, but it just got my brain storming... I do also have the current Gerry Roach app which I've used a few times and found it very useful. My specific situation may be different than others, so I'm trying to understand why you need an app for all of this information. I personally will gather most of the info I need on Friday, check trailheads and read trip reports from my computer, or my phone by just going to 14ers.com, because I can, because I have internet access and cell phone service. The things I need from the app start when I head towards the mountains, and mostly include the driving directions, route descriptions, maps, and GPS tracking, all of which the existing 14ers app provides.

What other features do you need when you are out of service (when, by the way, your phone wouldn't be able to sync with the 14ers.com site anyway)? I'm just not seeing the payback on an app vs. going to the website from your phone. But, I know that I may not understand how everyone else would use this, which is why I'm asking.

Cheers,
Eric

Next