Mount Robson Info Request

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KenB
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mount Robson Info Request

Post by KenB »

My friends & I summited via the Kain Face in '93. We watched the weather windows closely and when we saw a brief spat of high pressure heading for the mountain we headed there as well. One of our greatest advantages was some flexibility on exactly when we could be on the mountain along with a strategy of flying most of our gear, with a couple of team mates, to the Extinguisher Tower via chopper. The rest of us hiked in with daypacks in a single day. It all paid off as the weather turned to shite right after our ascent.
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

The weather demon!

Count me in John seriously. Robson (along with Waddington) has always been one of the peaks that has really attracted me in North America especially the Emperor Face. (I'll have to wait on that goal though ;))

I've done a lot of research on that peak over the past couple of years. The advantage we have is internet weather forecasting! Highly interested.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Koy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 98 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Koy »

Robson is also on our hit list, and we'd probably be heading up there this year if it weren't for a trip to the Alps. From the research I've done, I know it's about 40 miles round trip to do the Kain route. No offense to anyone else, but skip the chopper and enjoy the scenery on the way in and out. I've done a portion of the approach and it's amazing. The climb is definitely all about the weather. I've read about several canadian climbers where it took almost 10 attempts to summit. When we go, we'll be targeting late August/early Sept. for out attempt. I am really looking forward to getting back up there.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

John,

I didn't have a date set but unless I have a prior summer commitment (which I sure don't have many :D ) I can make it work. Lets plan a date! I think my school starts again around the middle of August afterwhich it would need to be a weekend but I could take a few days off for the trip.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JohnWilliams »

Wow! Thanks for the bounty of Info! Eternally Greatful! I remember seeing Robson while on a high school road trip to Jasper NP, absolutly incredible peak. Sounds like pleanty of time is needed to find a weather window and a summit is by no means a guarantee, sounds exciting!!!

-Brian, I also have class starting mid to late August. What would you say about taking maybe 2 weeks to drive up and climb around? Early August? late July? Anybody else Interested?

john
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Sounds like a great plan! I'll double check my dates and shoot you a PM.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'm interested, and I have a guy that may want to go as well (and I know Noah has expressed interest). Don't want to commit of course this far out, but I typically do one multi-day trip a year and Canadian climbing would be something new for me. Robson sounds sporty but I'd fly up to Edmonton and do the choppper thing to the Dome. I just don't have that sort of time to wait for a few days, then launch on a 2 day backpack just to get to the base, climb/wait for a few days, hike out, then travel home. So maybe we could connect, maybe not. I'm also interested in the N Face of Athabasca, classic alpine ice climb with far less commitment.
-Tom
XMULE
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XMULE »

Tom -- Don't know how much help this will be, but first time I was at Mt. Robson would have been in early June (of 1970) and, as I recall, the weather in and around Banff/Jasper was nice the whole time (3 days) I was there. Of course, that was right after the end of the last ice age :D

Second time was in late July of 2007 and the weather sucked. Spent a couple of days slogging around in rain and fog in Tonquin Valley trying to get a glimpse of the Ramparts. With a long drive to catch a plane in Edmonton my last day, I gave driving to Mt. Robson a shot. Foggy/cloudy most of the way from Jasper but, nothing to lose, so kept going. Turned the bend and there was Mt. Robson bathed in sunshine from top to bottom.
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha