Anyone climbed in Bolivia?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Anyone climbed in Bolivia?

Post by davebks »

Anyone been to these peaks? I am weighing some options of the Alps vs Bolivia....
Here is a trip that sounds pretty interesting. I am definitely looking for some peaks with a technical element to it. Not just trail/easy scrambling to the top.
Thanks!
Pequeno Alpamayo (17,618 feet), Huayana Potosi (19,974 feet) and Illimani (20,201 feet),
http://www.patagonicas.com/bolivia-classic-climbs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am also looking at these, which are bigger and more technical

http://www.patagonicas.com/bolivia-technical-climbs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone done that sucker?
Illimani (21,201 feet), Ancohuma (21,095 feet) and Illampu (20,873 feet),
Last edited by davebks on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Anyone climbed in Bolivia?

Post by jrbren_vt »

No, but love this video (DVD):
http://www.posingproductions.com/produc ... oduct_id=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best Regards
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Dave, we didn't end up making the trip (yet) due to finances but we were planning to hit those 3 on our honeymoon last summer... I was in touch with Marco Soria at Bolivian Journeys (I think is the company name) and he was really helpful and reasonably priced for logistic support or a complete guided trip. I'll send you his email if you'd like.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Thanks. I have been trying to figure out what's best/next for my climbing career and it sounds like those are beautiful peaks. Maybe not as technical as I am looking for though, but if you have some info you can send me, I'd definitely follow up.
Fiemus
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fiemus »

davebks wrote:Anyone been to these peaks? Huayana Potosi (19,974 feet)
Climbed Huayana Potosi in 2001 after a couple of weeks of mountain biking down there (with these guys http://www.gravitybolivia.com/index.php?mod=homeb). We got driven back from the summit ridge due to strong winds, but it was still a great climb even without making the summit.

I'd thoroughly recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Bolivia-Climbing- ... 089886495X
Yossi really opened up Bolivian alpinism to the world. Unfortunately he was killed in a climbing accident on El Presidente in '99.

If you have any other specific questions feel free to PM me or post them here.
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Heres another trip thats more technical....
http://www.patagonicas.com/bolivia-technical-climbs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone done that sucker?
Illimani (21,201 feet), Ancohuma (21,095 feet) and Illampu (20,873 feet),
astrobassman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 191 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by astrobassman »

I was down there this past June. We climbed P. Alpamayo, H. Potosi, Illimani, and Sajama. All of them were good climbs in different ways. Well Potosi was a bit of a joke, but still fun. None of them were too technical. Bolivia is a great place to go for an adventure to climb some high peaks. I want to go back someday to climb Illampu and Ancohuma. I was even thinking about going back in 2011 to attempt those two, but probably won't be able to make it down there next year. Contact haliku on this site for info on Illampu. He made an attempt a couple of years ago. A friend of mine at work climbed Illampu and said it was pretty tough. If you want to see a trip report on the peaks I climbed click on my profile and there is a link. Do you have any specific questions?
Wyoming Bob
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 105 3
Trip Reports (53)

Post by Wyoming Bob »

Climbed there in '01, 06 and '07. Did the Condoriri and the Huyana Potosi gig but best was the Apolobamba, well off the tourist trail for sure. http://www.climbingwithbob.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has write-ups for Pequeno Alpamayo, Huyana Potosi, and a trip down the length of the east side of the southern Apolobamba range.
Wyoming Bob
http://www.climbingwithbob.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Win some . . . lose some . . . CaSO4.2H2O.
schrund
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

I climbed those three back in '01'. Pequeno Alpamayo was located right next to Illusion which we climbed the day before we climbed Pequeno Alpamayo, there's a short rock pitch near the summit of Illusion, the highest rock I've ever climbed at around 17k. Huayna was fun, glacier travel basically, with the steepest parts leading to the summit. Illimani is a big mountain, and the drive to get there was as much an adventure as the climb. We did all three in rope teams since there are glaciers, and there were some steep parts as well.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Ok, so to add some more to the pot, how about Cordillera Blanca. Love it? Didn't love it? Which are THE peaks to climb?
I am considering that area, or Bolivia still.
How about the people/culture, beauty...? Any difference there?
Is one just that much more awesome then the other?
Thanks!
Adventurgal
13ers: 120 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Adventurgal »

In 2006 we summitted Huyana Potosi (19950) and Murarta (19,500). Then again in 2009, we ventured back to LaPaz and knocked off Illimani. I loved Potosi (first climb over 19k for me) and Illimani. I highly recommend climbing in Bolivia - affordable, reasonable weather. In November 2010, we climbed Cotopaxi and Cayambe and I liked Ecuador (country, less poverty, etc.,). However, I'm moving on to Peru this year to see what I can find. I've heard everything is a bit better in Peru. If anyone has thoughts or insights, please share.

Good luck.
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Morning, I have definitely heard that Peru has been modernized compared to Bolivia. My only problem with Peru right now is that the peak I want to climb is out of commission and the others are either too easy for what I am trying to accomplish, or they are too $$$ for the ones I really want to try.
I think Illampu, Illamani, etc might be the better bet because they will be a challenge and less money. If you know of a good middle group, semi/fully technical peak in Peru that doesn't break the bank, please let me know! I would love to go there too.

Side question, for those who have been to Bolivia, did you take any side trips? What else did you see while you were down there?
Thanks!