Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LCW Gathering? (Jan. 22nd)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

LCW Gathering? (Jan. 22nd)

Postby Derek » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Hey all.

So I was thinking about trying to have a “gathering” of sorts in the Lost Creek Wilderness. I know that normally group hikes focus on the higher peaks, but I figured some people might enjoy a lower altitude snowshoe.

The peak I was planning on is “Platte Peak” and was aiming for January 22nd. (A Saturday) “Platte Peak” is an 11er on the north edge of the Lost Creek Wilderness in the Platte Mountains. I was planning to start from the North Ben Tyler TH. (About 6 miles west of Bailey off 285 on the south side of the road.) The distance is around 11.5 miles and 3,700 ft of elevation. (About the same as a normal 14er.) The Ben Tyler Trail holds quite a bit of snow at times, but I figure with multiple people trail breaking it wouldn’t be too bad. Although long, the grade is somewhat mellow compared to some Lost Creek peaks.

Shawnee Peak could also be added. This would push the distance to 14.4 miles and 4,500 feet elevation.

Lost Creek Wilderness is a great area if you haven’t been.

Any interest? I’m planning on it regardless…but thought I’d extend the invitation. :)

--Derek
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Re: LCW Gathering? (Jan. 22nd)

Postby Greenhouseguy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Oh yeah. Last attempt, I was as tired as I've ever been on snowshoes. I hope you don't mind if I break trail the whole way this time.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby Derek » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:19 pm

greenhouseguy wrote:I hope you don't mind if I break trail the whole way this time.

Not only don't I mind, but how about if I attach a sled to you and have you pull me up? Just don't go too fast....wouldn't want to spill my hot chocolate. :)
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby somethingrandom » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Derek wrote:
greenhouseguy wrote:I hope you don't mind if I break trail the whole way this time.

Not only don't I mind, but how about if I attach a sled to you and have you pull me up? Just don't go too fast....wouldn't want to spill my hot chocolate. :)

Is there room in that sled for two? I just got a new jetboil and am interested in making hot chocolate...
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:26 am

somethingrandom wrote:Is there room in that sled for two? I just got a new jetboil and am interested in making hot chocolate...

Sure. but we may need to strap another sled on behind us to carry all the hot chocolate supplies. Is pulling two sleds ok with you, greenhouseguy? :lol:

--Derek
LOJ

Postby Floyd » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:36 pm

Derek wrote:Any interest? I’m planning on it regardless…but thought I’d extend the invitation. :)

--Derek

Isn't what you meant to post more like... I have this mountain I want to climb but it's over 13 miles and most likely virgin snow. Can one of the masochists on this site come out and break trail for me for 7 or 8 hours?

Seriously, depending on how my schedule comes together this month I may join you. I do enjoy some LCW stuff from time to time.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby Ulla » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:45 pm

I may be interested as well. Going to the LCW this Sunday, but would love to see this Ben Tyler trail and Platte Peak. I'll bring a bungee cord, so I can be pulled up the hill too! :)
"You're off to great places, today is your day---your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!" ~Dr. Seuss

Postby Derek » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:44 am

Floyd wrote:Isn't what you meant to post more like... I have this mountain I want to climb but it's over 13 miles and most likely virgin snow. Can one of the masochists on this site come out and break trail for me for 7 or 8 hours?

Ha! It definitely wont be as bad as I made it sound, but I don't want someone who is used to nice packed paths to be caught off guard. :) LCW in the winter can be a new experience...whereas high peaks you can usually ditch the snowshoes part way up, LCW you usually have to keep them on the entire way.

However, strangely enough, I think I've been up this trail about 3 times in winter, and every time there has been a somewhat of a packed path for part of the way up. It always ends a few miles up, but it helps for a while.

--Derek
LOJ

Postby Brian Thomas » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:22 am

I have hiked this trail a couple times and would like to again as long as the weather isn't whiteout conditions. Carpool from Denver area anyone?
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby tlerunner » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Count me in. I am coming from Parker and can pick some people up on the way.

Postby mennoguy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:49 pm

I've been wanting to get up and climb those peaks for a while, so I would definitely go weather permitting. I'd love to carpool if anyone from Boulder is going, I could meet Denver people at the fort off of 285.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:26 pm

mennoguy wrote:I've been wanting to get up and climb those peaks for a while, so I would definitely go weather permitting. I'd love to carpool if anyone from Boulder is going, I could meet Denver people at the fort off of 285.

There's a good RTD Park-n-Ride lot directly across from the Conoco at the bottom of the Hwy. 8 (Morrison) exit off of C470. The signs for the lot are down, but it's convenient, legal parking. I like meeting people there because you can gas up, use the facilities, or get cup of coffee while you're waiting for your partners to show up.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Next