Aconcagua 2010/2011

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
martino
Trip Reports (0)

Aconcagua 2010/2011

Post by martino »

Hi,

Looking for few partners to summit Aconcagua in 2010/2011 season. Few details are listed below. Please e-mail (martinoATbuoyageDOTcom) if interested. Thx

- timing: before or after X-mas/New Year 2010
- skill level needed: super strong physical cond + good mountaineering, team player
- main difficulties: altitude, length of time on the mountain (could be +/- 18 days); physical strength, weather can be nasty
- route: either normal or Vacas Valley or combo
- setup: no guides, porters up to the base camp
- itynerary: the key to success is weather and aclimatization. I think if we allow ourselves enough time on the mountain we should be able to summit and get safely down to the road. If we complete sooner we can spend extra days in Mendoza, Buenos or Santiago.
- necessary gear: count on carrying 50lb backpack
- approximate cost (departing from US): probably no more than US$3,500
Blackice360
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Aconcagua 2010/2011

Post by Blackice360 »

Hey!

I'm looking for some people to go up Aconcagua with this winter. Is your trip still on? If so, have you narrowed down the dates/route you think you'll be doing?
jenniferpetrik
14ers: 53 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jenniferpetrik »

Sounds like a great trip. I was planning on that peak this year too, but plans have changed. Will have to attempt it in a few years. Good luck and have a safe and faboulously fun trip : )
-Jen
Juice Life as my friend Barry Sweet would say.
Chary
14ers: 35  1  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chary »

Hello all,

Just want to have some idea who else on this forum is also going to Aconcagua this season. I will be arriving at Mendoza on Dec 19. I met a couple on Quandary two weeks ago who are going with John Race and Olivia Cussen (Northwest Mountain School) in late December.

Looking forward to bife y vino!
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

My girlfriend and I are going with a group of people from CSU. We'll be doing the Rio Vacas approach to the Polish Glacier and then the traverse to White Rocks from where we'll make our summit bids. Our group will be three girls and five guys ranging in age from 22 to late 50's. Say hi if you see us!

We're leaving the day after Christmas and have Jan 9th, 10th and 11th as our supposed summit days.

Hope everyone is feeling trained and strong! I broke my collarbone six weeks ago, which definitely dampened the training and morale, but I'm feeling back and pretty strong!

Cheers!
Make wilderness less accessible.
martino
Trip Reports (0)

Post by martino »

just returned back a few days ago. Crazy winds. Tornado wiped out our camp at Plaza Argentina. Tent rental from Daniel Lopez. Fierce winds at camp 1 and 2. Summit directly from camp 2. 100% success but exhausting. Tough dealing with freezing water and food. Safely home. Great expedition.
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Congratulations on what sounds like was a tough summit. Will you post a full trip report?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
nomadelmundo
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by nomadelmundo »

That's been on my list of peaks to summit... Let me know when it gets closer or if you need a partner to train with.
I am planning to do Elbrus first, then Aconcagua. Kilimanjaro few years ago got me addicted #-o
Maxmius - What we do in life echoes in eternity.
ray06
14ers: 42 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ray06 »

I'd like to try it next year (January 2012) but with a guide. Anyone interested, let me know.