Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Glacier Gorge Ice/Peaks Dec 23-24

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Glacier Gorge Ice/Peaks Dec 23-24

Postby JohnWilliams » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:57 am

Hi all,
I was looking to spend a couple days in the Black Lake area of Glacier Gorge doing either some ice or any of the surrounding peaks, or some combination of the two. Maybe ice around Black Lake the first day and a peak on the second? Totally open to discussion. I believe I have several people possibly interested and was thinking it would be pretty neat if we had a sort of "base camp" to mingle at.
Here's a few links to stuff in the area:
Glacier Gorge
http://mountainproject.com/v/colorado/co_ice__mixed/rmnp__mixedice/105746961
Black Lake Slabs
http://mountainproject.com/v/colorado/co_ice__mixed/rmnp__mixedice/105747518

just to name a few...

John
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Re: Glacier Gorge Ice/Peaks Dec 23-24

Postby TomPierce » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:23 am

Hey John: Ordinarily I'd be up for something like this but I have a family issue that's taking all of my attention. That aside, I think you'll find the best camping is in a shelf of trees not far off the trail just below (a few hundred yards?) Black Lake near the NE corner of the lake. Like I said, near the trail going to the Slabs. Purely my opinion but I think that'd be a tad more sheltered from the wind that funnels down the Trough and then around the Slabs onto the Lake, one of the consistently colder spots in the state IMO. It also lets you get a bit more sun in the afternoon. Have fun, be safe.
-Tom

Postby JohnWilliams » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:41 pm

I thought I'd do a last minute bump of this thread, see if anybody was interested.
2 of us will be doing West Gully on Thursday then either Longs Trough or Spearhead's N Ridge on Friday. My brother and a friend of mine are gonna do some top roped ice on Black lake Slabs on Thursday, and go for the Trough on Friday. That's the basic game plan, so far, but its subject to change.

If anyone is interested let me know and we can get on the same page.

Happy holidays!
John
Last edited by JohnWilliams on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Postby Beachrodney » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Johnba, I was hoping to skin in and join ya for a day but I can only get sat and sun off, keep me posted on any park trips in the future. Merry Xmas and you guys have fun and be safe! :D

Postby JohnP FTC » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:23 pm

I would have been liked to join you guys also, but I've got family things going on for the holidays. We'll met up some time in the future perhaps. I sure would love to see some pics if you guys take any. Have fun and be safe.

-John P.
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. -Carl Sagan

Postby JohnWilliams » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:40 am

Yeah guys, we'll have to get up there sometime soon! I think we're gonna just do as much Ice around Black Lake as humanly possible. The recent snow has us a tad bit worried.

John