Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Late June/Early July Elbert and Massive climb(s)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Late June/Early July Elbert and Massive climb(s)

Postby search4meaning » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:39 pm

I will be climbing Elbert and Massive this (early) summer with my 22 year old son. I am 55. We live in Michigan and are coming in just for this. I hope we are there a week, so we are open to other climbs too.
I have climbing experience but I am looking for local expertise. I have found that no amount of beta can compare to experience on that mountain. My son and I are good company, easy going, with plenty to offer as teammates. I am a Red Cross Wilderness and Remote First Aid Instructor and CPR trained, but let's not try to use any of that -OK?
I am new to this site, so if I have violated any 14ers protocol it was inadvertent. I look forward to meeting you.

Re: Late June/Early July Elbert and Massive climb(s)

Postby Tornadoman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:50 pm

Welcome to the site and the addicting hobby of climbing 14ers! I hiked Mt. Massive this past summer from the southwest slopes route and really enjoyed it... I am sure that you will have a good time too. Although I haven't hiked Mt. Elbert yet it looks nice and neither of these mountains is too technical so they should be good for first timers. There are lots of other 14ers in the area, so if you find that you have more time or energy after those two, you'll easily be able to climb another one! :D

Postby edhaman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:01 pm

I climbed Elbert several years ago, but have not been up Massive. Do you have specific questions? I'm sure you will find no shortage of advice and information on this site. My initial suggestion would be to shoot for July, unless your aim is more of a snow climb.

P.S. I'm originally from Michigan, but haven't lived there since 1986.

Postby coppersmithnc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:33 pm

Ive climbed ElBert and Massive in same day on outward bound alpine leadership course. It is one beautiful summit and long in coming becaused of the rounded aproach you seem too not be getting anywhere until you get near final trough up to summit.Good luck,i sherpa for my Dad on Capital peak and was trip of a lifetime for all! Take a Breath and a long look around for me!

Postby 1203ecc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Elbert is actually an easier climb than most, but still challenging. It would be a great climb and you guys will enjoy it. Word of caution, that time of year noon-time storms are the greatest threat on Elbert. I read up on them on this site and it really helped a lot, I even pushed back my climbs to mid July. Good luck and have a great climb!

Postby Bullwinkle » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:23 pm

You guys should do just fine--and it is a great father-son thing to do. Those two peaks are pretty straightforward on the standard routes. Just come in excellent physical condition, take a bit to get acclimatized, drink lots of water, and prepare for contingencies. My profile has a checklist you might want to review, but it is only that. You will likely bring only a subset of those things and, with ~100 oz of fluid, you should not be over a 20 pound gross pack (each) for day hikes. Some go considerably lower. I can go faster, but I usually budget for 1,000 vertical feet per hour up and a third less coming down. That allows for some break time, picture taking, etc. Lots of good info on this site on routes and trip reports. Just type key words into the search box.

In Leadville I usually stay at either the Columbine Motel or the Silver King Motel on the north end of town near the Pizza Hut and the Safeway grocery store. Quincy's in town is a favorite for steaks.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed