Have you climbed Orizaba?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hatidua
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Have you climbed Orizaba?

Post by hatidua »

I've not climbed Orizaba but have found Mexico City to be far more user friendly and safe than the media would have you believe. I stay in the Zona Rosa area and go out at night alone & have felt perfectly safe. The VW taxi's are quite a kick as well: automatic-opening passenger side door, no front passenger seat, not like any taxi's I've tried anywhere else in the world (Thai tuk-tuk's aside).
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

This question is slightly off topic, but does anyone have any beta on the ruta sur? This used to be the standard route up Orizaba. Is it still a reasonable route while there's snow (Sept-Dec)? Is it more of a challenge to get to the Fausto Gonzales hut? This route seems more straight forward and slightly easier than the Jampa.

Thanks
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Craigo, you might PM Gabriel, he suggested that route to me once so he might have some beta on it.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

At the end of October last year, there was pretty much no snow on the south side of Orizaba.
It looked like it would have been a long slog up scree.

JB99- sorry I didn't get around to commenting in time for your paper.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

Can't believe it's gone that early in the season. Thanks
AndrewJ
14ers: 4 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewJ »

This is my first post and although I am a relativley new member to the site, I have been using the information available for several years now. I have used it for 2 successful climbs of Longs Peak. Recently I have used some of your excellent Trip Reports as I have prepared for an attempt of Orizaba. I am flying to Mexico City Christmas Day and taking a bus to Tlachichuca via Puebla. We will be using Servimont for accomadations and travel to and from the hut. We are flying back Jan 2nd. I just wanted to thank you all for your information.

But now down to business....

I just read about an oil pipeline explosion in San Martin Texmelucan. It appears to be serious. 27 dead and many injured.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12/19 ... latestnews

This city seems to be directly on the probable bus route. I am worried about the impact on travel and the overall region. I have emailed Servimont, but answers some times take a day or two. I am posting here to see if anyone has an idea of the potential impact. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the area or from friends/family? Advice on whether to make the trip or not?

Thanks in advance.