Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Little Bear - SW Ridge - Sunday 12-12 ?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Little Bear - SW Ridge - Sunday 12-12 ?

Postby Ned-man » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Congrats & well done!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:49 pm

globreal wrote:Holy cow! You did it...didn't you? You dog you. Can't believe it! Bring on the TR. And be honest on the difficulty. (I want to learn about that route to SLB.)

So glad to hear you are back and safe. Way to go.

OK, I can't keep you guys in suspense.

No, we didn't do it. Well, we got to South Little Bear. That was sweet. I ran over and tagged the first crux on the traverse - it's just right there after the summit of SLB. I had been worried about that section and wanted to see it - pretty much piece of cake. Even with a little snow on it, it wasn't much of a problem. The exposure wasn't bad. (Maybe the fog helped. : )

It was a heck of a lot of fun. The photo I posted makes it look like we're braving some hideous winter storm. Not true. The weather gods were kind to the lens - it was the only time all day that it looked like that. The rest of the time we had blue sky, and dry conditions. It was pretty straightforward, except that there was a lot of talus travel, some of it loose. We also encountered knock-down gusts on the way back between 13,000 and 11,000. Other than that, we basically ran out of time. We made it to treeline by sundown. I'm a little bummed that just tonight they've bumped pops in the Sangre to 70% later this week - the route could get a lot more exciting after this storm.

I want to thank Lynn and Carol and Matt for some great teamwork, a fun day in the mountains, and a good recon for a future winter trip.

I'll try to have a TR and photos up in about a week. Like you - I can't seem to get my work done either - just keep musing about mountains... : )

Matt, Carol, and Lyn descend an unending talus field in high winds at sundown.

Postby tmathews » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Sounds like a cool day, Jim! I was a little concerned about you on that decent into the hourglass from South Little Bear, but I'm glad everything turned out okay.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:52 pm

tmathews wrote:Sounds like a cool day, Jim! I was a little concerned about you on that decent into the hourglass from South Little Bear, but I'm glad everything turned out okay.

Thanks, Terry.

We were fairly confident it would be fine. Our research suggested dry conditions; evaluation when we got there did not disappoint, as seen in the photo below. Research also suggested the downclimb into the hourglass notch on the ridge does not unduly expose one to the main steep section of the hourglass, and that the rock on that section of the ridge is relatively low angle and fairly featured.

Little Bear and the Hourglass as seen from Little Bear's SW ridge, 12-12-10

Of course, as to the very reasonable conditions we enjoyed last Sunday, that may all go out the window as of today...

Jim

Postby Johnson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Sweet shot of the Hour Glass and mountian!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Previous