Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yale this Sat (11th) or Sun (12th)?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Yale this Sat (11th) or Sun (12th)?

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:20 am

sgladbach wrote:How were the conditions? Any photos; or do we need to wait for a TR?

Congatulations to all who attempted and/or summited.

Steve

Steve,

I've got a small photo album through my Facebook Account = Click Here To See

There was more snow down low than we anticipated, very powdery so snowshoes only helped break trail for those of us not using them. The trail, once you get to the small meadows after the turnoff from Brown's Pass, is sketchy and was lost - we decided to bushwack to the west slope - manageable but I'm sure with some more diligence we could have found the trail. Picked up the trail above tree line, but at this point it was easier to scramble up the slopes. It was very windy, very cold (teens). It took the "fast" group probably 5-6 hours to summit, and our "slower" group was an hour behind them. We RT'd in just over 10 hours, with plenty of breaks to adjust clothes, unfreeze water, fix microspikes and stare at the remaining task ahead.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby sgladbach » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 am

Looks like most of the photos from Sunday (Lttle Bear, Uncompahgre). Less than ideal!!

Congratulations!

Steve

Some of you need snowshoes!! Tails $30 extra!!
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664384
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby Monster5 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:34 pm

Did anybody summit Antero on Saturday? I saw a TH update and some other report from 12/4, but I didn't hear anything about the actual climb. I was considering it for Saturday.

Thanks!

Ryan

PS As for Yale conditions - not too bad for winter! Calm down low and winds below 25 up higher for the most part. It picked up to the typical 35-40 range on the summit and in the saddle. The views came and went, but I'll take the clouds over a snow-roast any day.

Here's the best I could get as far as macro-conditions pictures (Yale, Harvard/Columbia):
Yale_resize.JPG
Yale_resize.JPG (254.16 KiB) Viewed 827 times

SummitRidge.JPG
SummitRidge.JPG (285.58 KiB) Viewed 828 times

Harvard_Columbia.JPG
Harvard_Columbia.JPG (225.16 KiB) Viewed 828 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Previous