Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Year's Night Hike

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

New Year's Night Hike

Postby TK » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:46 am

So I've got this semi-crazy idea to ring in the new year on a summit with a great view. I'm not quite as ambitious as the Adaman group, but it's always sounded like a blast. Maybe Grays or Sherman. Anyone interested?
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Re: New Year's Night Hike

Postby j83soldier » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:25 am

I was thinking about this too but want something more challenging, the bells, longs maybe. Lets make it memorable. we could always hike during the day packing a bivy and bag as well

Postby shredthegnar10 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:18 pm

I'd be up for something that isn't too terribly long with low avy danger.
There's a fine line between being a badass and being a dumbass.

ACONCAGUA STYLE

Postby TK » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:20 pm

j83soldier, my guess is I'm probably not at your level if you're thinking the Bells in winter. I'm honestly looking at building some better snow climbing skills while I'm back home for the holidays and think this would be a really fun way to do it. I might have almost 100 peaks under my belt, but most of them are summer peaks. It's best to humble myself and say I'm learning. Bells in winter is a different animal.

I was thinking of something more along the lines of Horseshoe . That's a heck of a cirque, and a peak I'd love to see the top of in winter. Either of you still interested?

Grays or something in the Decalibron would also be an option.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby Paula » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:46 pm

This is exactly how I want to spend New Year's, but I'm voting for La Plata because the road to the Gray's trailhead terrifies me at this time of year.