Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yale this Sat (11th) or Sun (12th)?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Yale this Sat (11th) or Sun (12th)?

Postby Redleg Bruce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:41 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:
anna wrote:Hmm...maybe we should consider a twofer. Antero on Saturday, Yale on Sunday?

Bruce might convince me to get to Yale on Sunday morning, too... SW route? I'll be coming from Canon City and back to Denver so I want shorter-is-better in terms of mileage.

Count me in as a possibility for Sunday.

Yay Bill! You read my FB post, I see. I'd love a twofer but won't have time to leave here on friday afternoon and get to the TH for Antero on saturday morning.
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Postby Redleg Bruce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:24 pm

NOTE TO ALL: While I am all in on this hike I can only afford to do it if I can carpool up there with someone. So, who is doing this that is from the Springs?

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Postby madeinus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:46 pm

jdorje wrote:
anna wrote:Hmm...maybe we should consider a twofer. Antero on Saturday, Yale on Sunday?

Browns creek route for Antero ok? And southwest slope for yale...

Browns Creek is a very long way to approach Antero especially this time of year. Baldwin Gulch is probably going to be the best bet, which is still a long day. Was originally going to wait till it had enough snow on the road to snowshoe up, but looks tempting especially if the weather stays as nice as it has been.

If I dont end up doing it this weekend, I'll probably still end up doing something else..

Postby jdorje » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:48 pm

madeinus wrote:Browns Creek is a very long way to approach Antero especially this time of year. Baldwin Gulch is probably going to be the best bet, which is still a long day. Was originally going to wait till it had enough snow on the road to snowshoe up, but looks tempting especially if the weather stays as nice as it has been.

I see - yeah you're right.

15 miles and 5200' from the west is still a rather long - and what sounds like a boring - day. And I don't quite see how that trail gets accessed from the east side of the mountain! Are there any routes up this mountain that don't involve hiking 5 miles up a road?

Still...as nice as the weather has been, it could be a good day. There'd be a lot of snow on the lower part of Baldwin Gulch for sure.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Redleg Bruce » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:35 am

anna wrote:I'm in the Springs (got your PM), but I'm considering both days. However, my plans might be foiled by my ongoing car issues. Been using a friend's car as a loaner but had to return it today. Definitely can't drive my crap car (it doesn't like to run in the cold and recently had its license plate stolen) so my plans are up in the air at this point.

As long as someone splits the gas with me, I can drive. If that works let me know. I have a friend in the springs that may go as well. If I end up not being able to get someone to go with I'll just do Pikes on Barr Trail.

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Postby madeinus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:50 am

jdorje wrote:
madeinus wrote:Browns Creek is a very long way to approach Antero especially this time of year. Baldwin Gulch is probably going to be the best bet, which is still a long day. Was originally going to wait till it had enough snow on the road to snowshoe up, but looks tempting especially if the weather stays as nice as it has been.

I see - yeah you're right.

15 miles and 5200' from the west is still a rather long - and what sounds like a boring - day. And I don't quite see how that trail gets accessed from the east side of the mountain! Are there any routes up this mountain that don't involve hiking 5 miles up a road?

Still...as nice as the weather has been, it could be a good day. There'd be a lot of snow on the lower part of Baldwin Gulch for sure.

Haha, no other route besides the road. It's why I wanted to hit it in winter, to liven it up. Usually this time of year I like to start going at or right before dawn. Because of the length, this one most likely will involve headlamps. Either before dawn or after dusk, (I prefer before dawn). But because the road goes up to 13,700, route finding shouldnt be an issue with lamps. It's a possibility for this weekend but I dont have my heart set on it either.

Nick

Postby Ulla » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:08 am

mikefromcraig wrote:
I might be able to do both but I could definitely do Yale on Sunday.

It seems that Yale on Sunday is what most people who have posted on here want. I'll check back this week for more details. Looks like we might have enough people to have a faster group and a slower group which would be nice.

I'd be interested in Antero or Yale and would join the faster group!!!
Cheers,
Ulla
"You're off to great places, today is your day---your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!" ~Dr. Seuss

Postby nathanlee05 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:23 pm

I'll be up for possibly Saturday. I had plans to ski at breck but climbing is better!

Postby lemurtech » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 pm

I'd be interested in Yale on Sunday. I've done both before, but redoing Antero doesn't sound so interesting. I could carpool (and drive) from the Springs, as I'm in Castle Rock so I would drive down that way first anyway.

BTW, you can climb Antero via the Little Browns Creek trail from the east (you start right at the edge of the national forest at the bottom of the mountains), but its one really long hike (~19 miles if I remember right), and you pop out on the road with only about a half mile of road left before it ends before the last push to the summit of Antero.

Postby mikefromcraig » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:35 pm

anna wrote:Just got back from buying a new vehicle (goodbye crapmobile!) so I'm definitely game for this weekend. I'm planning on car camping Friday & Saturday night so I'll be game for an early start. I can take a few people in my vehicle, but you'd probably need a tent or hotel arrangements due to space in the car. Here's my plan at this point:

Baldwin for Antero - Saturday 12/11, start time 6-6:30
Southwest Slopes Route for Yale - Sunday 12/12, start time 6-6:30

P.S. If someone wants to start earlier and break trail for the rest of us, I'm sure we'd be game for that plan. :wink:

I'll be there late saturday night (white forester) to car camp and I'll start with you guys in the morning. I'd put my vote in for 6:30 instead of 6 for a start time but I'll gladly go whenever the group decides.

Are you going to camp at the denny creek trailhead?

Since we will be on the south side of the mountain are you going to bring snowshoes?

I'll PM you with my info

congrats on the new car!

Postby jdorje » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:57 am

Antero:
Saturday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 20. Windy, with a west northwest wind 25 to 30 mph decreasing to between 15 and 20 mph.
http://forecast.weather.gov//MapClick.php?FcstType=text&TempBox=1&WeatherBox=1&PoPBox=1&textField1=38.67&textField2=-106.24&Submit=Submit&MapType=3&site=DEN&CiTemplate=0

Yale:
Sunday: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 29. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 10 and 20 mph.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?FcstType=text&TempBox=1&WeatherBox=1&PoPBox=1&textField1=38.84&textField2=-106.31&Submit=Submit&MapType=3&site=DEN&CiTemplate=0

Not looking great for Saturday anyway.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby fortmyers-b » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:15 pm

I have been following this thread for a few days and would like to join all of you on Sunday for Yale. The weather on Sunday doesn't look too bad. Hopefully things stay that way. I have read there is not too much snow in the area (a little to be added on Saturday), but I will have my avy gear just to be safe. The more avy gear on the mountain, the better!! Who will have avy gear? Could there be enough snow to ski / board? I will be sleeping in Buena Vista Saturday night and will prob arrive at the TH (or as close to the TH as I can get) at 6:15ish. I'll be in a black Explorer.

PreviousNext