Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yale this Sat (11th) or Sun (12th)?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Yale this Sat (11th) or Sun (12th)?

Postby jdorje » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 pm

How are conditions on yale and what's the weather outlook?
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby hatidua » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:30 pm

I could probably make it on Sunday but I'm not exactly fast so would not want to hold anyone back.

Postby jagiammaria » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:39 pm

I'm interested and could probably do either day, but also wouldn't want to hold anybody up.

Postby Redleg Bruce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:42 am

I'll do it! Sunday works best for me as I am driving from OK to CO this coming friday night. One of my best friends mentioned wanting to do the collegiate peaks and we were going to do Pikes this weekend but since I'll be living in the springs I can do Pikes whenever I want. Are you wanting to get out there the night before or drive that morning. Also, where are you coming from?
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Postby Redleg Bruce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:08 am

Spent some time looking into this climb this morning. Looks like the weather will be decent this weekend, with sunday being warmer, more sunny and less windy. Based on the Buena Vista weather forecast, there shouldn't be much new snow this week but there will be windy conditions with winds primarily from the W and NW, which would, if there is snow to blow around, cause loading on the E-SE aspects (right? I'm pretty new to this avalanche stuff). If said loading does occur it shouldn't change the current avalanche forecast of low for the SW-W-NW slopes, which is where the Southwest Slopes route is located. I'd like to do the east ridge from the Avalanche Gulch TH if there is no new snow and low to moderate avalanche danger, but If there is snow and much avalanche risk my vote would be the Southwest Slopes from the Denny Creek TH. Any thoughs/comments/concerns?
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Postby jdorje » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:54 am

There is very little snow on the southern Sawatch; we climbed Shavano on Saturday with just a few steps above treeline crossing snow. Yale is a somewhat southward-facing route but it looked like snow was a bit higher north there. Avalanche danger should be minimal or none but slick snow on steep slopes can be a major risk for the inexperienced and unequipped (which is most people who've posted in this thread, myself included). I'm not sure how much steep slopes Yale really has though.

I was looking at Antero from the top of Shavano and its southern slopes looked quite devoid of snow. For those not experienced in snow climbing it could be an easier/safer option.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby madeinus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:12 am

jdorje wrote:There is very little snow on the southern Sawatch; we climbed Shavano on Saturday with just a few steps above treeline crossing snow. Yale is a somewhat southward-facing route but it looked like snow was a bit higher north there. Avalanche danger should be minimal or none but slick snow on steep slopes can be a major risk for the inexperienced and unequipped (which is most people who've posted in this thread, myself included). I'm not sure how much steep slopes Yale really has though.

I was looking at Antero from the top of Shavano and its southern slopes looked quite devoid of snow. For those not experienced in snow climbing it could be an easier/safer option.

I was possibly looking at Antero for this Saturday...

Postby tmathews » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:15 am

jdorje wrote:There is very little snow on the southern Sawatch; we climbed Shavano on Saturday with just a few steps above treeline crossing snow. Yale is a somewhat southward-facing route but it looked like snow was a bit higher north there. Avalanche danger should be minimal or none but slick snow on steep slopes can be a major risk for the inexperienced and unequipped (which is most people who've posted in this thread, myself included). I'm not sure how much steep slopes Yale really has though.

Hey, Jason! Thanks for the company on Saturday!

Postby mikefromcraig » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:44 pm

anna wrote:Hmm...maybe we should consider a twofer. Antero on Saturday, Yale on Sunday?

I might be able to do both but I could definitely do Yale on Sunday.

It seems that Yale on Sunday is what most people who have posted on here want. I'll check back this week for more details. Looks like we might have enough people to have a faster group and a slower group which would be nice.

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:00 pm

anna wrote:Hmm...maybe we should consider a twofer. Antero on Saturday, Yale on Sunday?

Bruce might convince me to get to Yale on Sunday morning, too... SW route? I'll be coming from Canon City and back to Denver so I want shorter-is-better in terms of mileage.

Count me in as a possibility for Sunday.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby jdorje » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Interesting idea!

Browns creek route for Antero ok? And southwest slope for yale...

---

Terry: yeah Saturday was a lot of fun. Thanks for the invite...but where's the trip report!?
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby tmathews » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:37 pm

jdorje wrote:

Interesting idea!

Browns creek route for Antero ok? And southwest slope for yale...

---

Terry: yeah Saturday was a lot of fun. Thanks for the invite...but where's the trip report!?

I just made a quick report. :)

Next