Hong Kong

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Hong Kong

Post by TravelingMatt »

Anyone done any hiking in Hong Kong? Got three full days there over Thanksgiving. I know there's a pretty well-developed trail network.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Fiemus
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hong Kong

Post by Fiemus »

I'm in HK every few months. Check this site out for the best trail guide:

http://www.hkwalkers.net/eng/longtrail/longtrail.htm
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

At 957m, Tai Mo Shan (New Territories, not close to HK Island or Kowloon) is the highest peak. It's also a very full day, maybe dark to dark this time of year. Otherwise ask around for the nearest hike. My wife and I went a few years ago at Thanksgiving and the weather was just too rainy to hike. But it's a wonderful city and there is so much to do in 3 days
Roll No Rocks
tauma
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 79
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tauma »

Nowhere is distant in HK. We have the MTR, enough taxis for one each (except when it rains), each child seems to get a bus when they are born and they drive around seemingly empty throughout their life and then there are the ding-dings, ferries and even cable cars. Plus escalators up the peak to mid-levels for fat expats who are too lazy to walk. But I digress.

Best day hikes are on Lantau (Sunest and Lantau Peaks), the Maclehose trail stages 3,4 and 5 but also throw in Lion Rock on stage 5. (The official trail dodges that bullet). Then there is the HK island trail from Big Wave Bay to the Peak (50km) or the Wilson trail on Hong Kong island from Stanley to Quarry Bay or the NT section.

I'm not too sure how fit you are but from my back door (end of stage 5 Maclehose) to Route Twisk start stage 8 takes takes 3.5 hours. That includes Tai Mo Shan (My Bells w/ traverse 8:59' , Longs 6:35', Little Bear 3:47' from the Lake).

Much depends on what you want to do. There are rather a lot of distractions in HK which can put a hole in plans. But here is a suggestion. Catch the MTR (think London tube but it works regularly ever 5 mins or so) to Tung Chung. Out of the station you will see a cable car. Catch it to Ngong Ping $HK88 or locate the trail under it. At Ngong Ping have some of the locally brewed tea (yes we have plantations there), following the brew check out the Big Buddha (tourist attraction) then hit the trail up Lantau Peak our 2nd highest and far more impressive than Tai Mo Shan. Follow the trail over the top until you get to a road. From there turn left or catch a bus, taxi to Cheung Sha Beach. It is at the bottom of the hill and locate the Stoep restaurant (South African theme). Enjoy a beach sunset with G n T and dinner. Catch a bus, taxi to Mui Wo (10 minutes) then a ferry (regular service) back to Central (this assumes you stay on HK island). And if after all that you feel the need to strut the light fantastic hit Lan Kwai Fong, Soho or Wan Chai.

PM me with your general ideas if you need help. Its about time I returned a few favours to the Colorado mtn community.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

This is all very helpful. Will probably try Tai Mo Shan and something on Lantau. First day there will probably do more urban things and procure maps. Weather looks pretty good.

That said, I seem to recall from a previous trip a government-run map store in Tsim Sha Tsui which had all sorts of trail maps. I'm real fuzzy on the location but seem to remember it was a bit north of the upper end of Nathan Road. Does this sound familiar? Where's a good place to get this kind of stuff? (There's no REI in HK yet.)
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Fiemus
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fiemus »

TravelingMatt wrote:This is all very helpful. Will probably try Tai Mo Shan and something on Lantau. First day there will probably do more urban things and procure maps.
Not sure about a government run map store - but the Overlander outdoor chain may offer maps. They have a number of shop locations which you can find here: http://www.overlander.com.hk/Overlander ... ex_eng.htm
tauma
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 79
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tauma »

The gov't map store is below the Eaton hotel at the junction of 380 Nathan Road and Gascoigne Road