Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New! GPX files on Trip Reports

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

New! GPX files on Trip Reports

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:12 pm

This was a popular request, sorry it took me so long...

We can now upload .GPX (GPS waypoint and track file) files to trip reports and the data will be displayed on Google Maps, within the report.

Here are the steps:
1) Create a .GPX file using your GPS computer software and the track/waypoint data uploaded from your GPS unit. For Garmin users, Garmin MapSource software can obtain GPS data from your GPS unit and save the results in the ".GPX" file format. Yes, GPS files have a ".gpx" file extension.

2) Create your trip report on 14ers.com

3) Use the trip report EDIT page (sorry, the GPX upload is not on the TR ADD page, yet) and add your GPX file at the bottom of the page. If you upload a file that does not conform to the GPX format/schema, it will be rejected when you save the trip report. Here's what that part of the TR EDIT looks like:

4) Open your trip report and look near the bottom to see an embedded Google Map which includes your GPX file data:

I hope many people find this one helpful...
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: New! GPX files on Trip Reports

Postby tmathews » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Awesome stuff!

Postby tmathews » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:33 pm

Cool, I just uploaded my .gpx file to my Kit Carson North Ridge TR. Question: Are you going to make it where individuals can download the file for use in their GPS receivers?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:15 pm

tmathews wrote:Question: Are you going to make it where individuals can download the file for use in their GPS receivers?

Yup. I'll make it so the TR author can specify whether or not users can download the GPX file from the report. More to come...

Postby I fall a lot » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Wow..very useful, thanks!

Postby Trudger » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:37 pm

=D> Eggcellent.

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:41 am

Nice feature!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:26 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
tmathews wrote:Question: Are you going to make it where individuals can download the file for use in their GPS receivers?

Yup. I'll make it so the TR author can specify whether or not users can download the GPX file from the report. More to come...

Now there's a "share" flag on the TR EDIT page so the author can make the GPX file public for downloading.

Once that's set a GPX file download link is visible on the trip report (directly under the google map containing the GPX data).

Postby tmathews » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:21 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Now there's a "share" flag on the TR EDIT page so the author can make the GPX file public for downloading.

Once that's set a GPX file download link is visible on the trip report (directly under the google map containing the GPX data).

Nice.

This is kind of a paranoia question, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask it. In regards to liability -- should those of us who are making .gpx files available for download by individuals write-up some kind of disclaimer? I would hate, for example, to have someone download one of my files and get injured while trying to follow the route not because it's inaccurate -- but because, perhaps, that individual's skill level didn't reflect my own. First of all, I would feel really bad if I found out someone was injured while trying to stick to a .gpx route that I created, but I would also hate to subject both 14ers.com and myself to awkward legalities.

Or does the blanket 14ers.com Site Disclaimer cover TR's as well? I hope all that makes sense....

Postby Doctor No » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:33 am

Very cool, Bill! Thanks! =D>

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 am

Good point. I'll draft a liability page that's required for people to continue to the download.

Basically, it will say you use this at your own risk and the author cannot be held responsible.

Postby tmathews » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:46 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Good point. I'll draft a liability page that's required for people to continue to the download.

Basically, it will say you use this at your own risk and the author cannot be held responsible.

I'm glad I wasn't just rambling and you were able to parse all of that. Thanks, Bill!

Next