Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Friends of Berthoud Pass

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby FOBP » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Postby tmathews » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:19 am

FOBP wrote:The 2010-2011 classes have begun. Check the calendar for a class near you:

November
8 – Colorado Springs, Worner Student Center, Colorado College

Anyone in the Springs going to this tonight? I'll be there.

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:27 am

tmathews wrote:
FOBP wrote:The 2010-2011 classes have begun. Check the calendar for a class near you:

November
8 – Colorado Springs, Worner Student Center, Colorado College

Anyone in the Springs going to this tonight? I'll be there.

Yup. I think my hiking partner (DHatfield) is going as well...

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:57 am

The presentation in the Springs last night was great - very similar to the CAIC "Avalanche Awareness" course - so it was a good refresher for me. The speaker did a good job keeping people interested in what can sometimes be a pretty dry subject, especially when you start getting into the science of snow.

And the video they showed of the guy wearing the helmet-cam, who got buried... wow, if you want some motivation for educating yourself about avy safety, and hiking with a partner who knows how to use a beacon, probe, and shovel - watch that video! Very sobering, how quickly you start going "downhill" when you're encased in snow. It was sickening to listen to, but I can guarantee that my partner and I will start carrying our avy gear again real soon.

The one "new thing" I picked up on was the serpentine path used by searches during a SAR operation. I've taken courses in how to use a beacon, and how to do a search, but I don't recall following a back-and-forth pattern to locate the "body." Is this something new? Or did I just learn it and forget it?

With snow on the way, I sure hope folks take advantage of these courses, and follow them up with field work, reading - "White Book" and "Snow Sense" are two of my favorites, plus the old standby, "Freedom of the Hills" - more coursework, beacon practice, and regular visits to the CAIC site for avalanche danger updates. It would be awesome to get through the season with no fatalities!

Finally... my friends and I were looking for a "tip jar" or something to put our donations in, but couldn't locate one. We decided to just go online today to make a donation for last night's class, but when I go to the Friends of Berthoud Pass website, and click on Donate, there's no way to actually send money. If anyone knows how to do this, please clue me in! Thanks.

Keep up the good work, guys!

Postby tmathews » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:07 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Finally... my friends and I were looking for a "tip jar" or something to put our donations in, but couldn't locate one. We decided to just go online today to make a donation for last night's class, but when I go to the Friends of Berthoud Pass website, and click on Donate, there's no way to actually send money. If anyone knows how to do this, please clue me in! Thanks.

I just gave my donation directly to Sean last night....

Postby Carl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:34 am

Glad you enjoyed the class Susan. We'll pass on your comments to Bobski. Thanks for trying to donate! And thanks Terry too. The link on the website requires your donation (or payment to become a member) to be made via PayPal. Maybe that was the issue? We're also happy to take a check. You can email one of us directly at "shan" or "carl" @berthoudpass.org if you've got any other questions/comments or issues making a donation. Thanks again!!

Two classes coming up next week...

Tuesday 7pm at Cassleman's in Denver
Wednesday 7pm at Bent Gate in Golden

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 am

Wesley wrote:Glad you enjoyed the class Susan. We'll pass on your comments to Bobski. Thanks for trying to donate! And thanks Terry too. The link on the website requires your donation (or payment to become a member) to be made via PayPal. Maybe that was the issue? We're also happy to take a check. You can email one of us directly at "shan" or "carl" @berthoudpass.org if you've got any other questions/comments or issues making a donation. Thanks again!!

I have a PayPal account, so that's not the problem - the Donate page just comes up blank for me...

I found this address on the About Us page, so I'll just send a check, then: P.O. Box 48063, Denver, CO 80204

Thanks again!

Postby Carl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:49 am

susanjoypaul wrote:I have a PayPal account, so that's not the problem - the Donate page just comes up blank for me...

That link should bring up a page that starts off... "Your donations drive our organization! Donations of $25 or more are entitled to member benefits..."

If you're not seeing anything it's definitely something we'd like to work on! If you have a chance, please shoot one of us an email about the problem and indicate what internet browser you're using.

Postby Bean » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:54 am

Using IE8 (grumble grumble grumble) it has:

"Donate

Your donations drive our organization! Donations of $25 or more are entitled to member benefits."

And then nothing else.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Carl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:24 am

Wow, definitely an issue with our site and IE. Thanks guys. We're on it.

Postby tmathews » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:08 am

Wesley wrote:Glad you enjoyed the class Susan. We'll pass on your comments to Bobski. Thanks for trying to donate! And thanks Terry too.

Carl -- your incident on Kelso came to mind a couple times last night (especially during that video of the skier being rescued). I'm glad that you and your partner(s) made it out of there without major injuries.

Postby Carl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:25 am

tmathews wrote:Carl -- your incident on Kelso came to mind...

Good! That's part of the reason why I shared it. I think a lot can be learned from analyzing others mistakes (and of course your own) and being reminded of the inherent risks. This page is a great resource in that regard http://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/accidents_co.php

PreviousNext