Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbing and Mountain Photography - 14ers members in shows!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Climbing and Mountain Photography - 14ers members in shows!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:48 am

Hey, let's get some of you 14ers photographers in the photo shows around the state! Not enough climbing and mountain photography out there.

We had some 14ers memebers featured in a couple of my placing shots at the Southern Colorado Photography Society show reception last night. It was so cool to see some of our members in framed prints at a photo comp. We've got some great photographers on this site. It would be nice to see more members getting in on some of these shows.

There's an upcoming show at TCLA in January, "Visions of Light." Entries are accepted through January - I'd be glad to post details. This will be a juried competition. I think the judge knows what he's doing -none other than John Fielder.

Let's get more 14ers members in there!

(Hey Kimo.... : )

Jim

Re: Climbing and Mountain Photography - 14ers members in shows!

Postby kimo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:13 pm

Hey Jim, congratulations! on the placing and thanks for the tip.

I've captured tens of thousands of images through the years. And I'm proud of a few of them. But I haven't submitted a single one to a competition. I may use the outside world as my canvas but my photography captures the darkness and light within me. It is personal. I enjoy sharing the results but to subject the images to some standard to be judged has not appealed to me. But as I get older (just got another year closer to 40 oh no!) my dreams aren't getting any closer. If I want them they must be chased.

I'm not familiar with TCLA - please post details regarding the future show. There are many great photographers on this site who may be interested.

Postby hatidua » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm happy for those that enter (and win!) photo competitions. Although I've earned 100% of my income from photography for the past 25 years, I've yet to enter a photo competition. For some (like the previous post), their work is personal, for others, it's strictly for commerce, etc. In any event, for those that enter, best of luck, I'm sure there has been a great amount of wonderful scenery documented by the members here.

Postby Kane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Email sent.

Postby centrifuge » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:25 pm

kimo wrote:Hey Jim, congratulations! on the placing and thanks for the tip.

I've captured tens of thousands of images through the years. And I'm proud of a few of them. But I haven't submitted a single one to a competition. I may use the outside world as my canvas but my photography captures the darkness and light within me. It is personal. I enjoy sharing the results but to subject the images to some standard to be judged has not appealed to me. But as I get older (just got another year closer to 40 oh no!) my dreams aren't getting any closer. If I want them they must be chased.

I'm not familiar with TCLA - please post details regarding the future show. There are many great photographers on this site who may be interested.

+1 on all of the above sentiments.... except for the comp thing, I did a couple of times... I guess the validation I get from the people around me is generally what I look for... though doing a show would be fun to try once in life.... though I dont really think my stuff is that good.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:22 pm

centrifuge wrote:
kimo wrote:Hey Jim, congratulations! on the placing and thanks for the tip.

+1 on all of the above sentiments.... except for the comp thing, I did a couple of times... I guess the validation I get from the people around me is generally what I look for... though doing a show would be fun to try once in life.... though I dont really think my stuff is that good.

Trevor, Kimo - I hear you guys. To me, working on my photography with feedback, comments, critique, and mentoring from our local photo group experts, then rubbing shoulders with them in comps, I feel really helps to tighten up the work. I see with new eyes. I could continue on without any of this - but the horizons of my vision would be so much more limited.

It's also wonderful to see the exposition of works of those I consider mentors and experts - and see their conception of vision and how it differs from mine, and how they express that conception through their own art. I feel that the shows are a way of enjoying community with my fellow photographers.

Of course, one has to recognize that judging is subjective, and the judges do not always agree with our assessments - be it our own works or the works of others. But that's a given. You roll with the punches, but you're all there showing whatcha got, and you know that whoever the judge is, he'll see some of the same things in the works that you all did.

Anyway, the show at TLCA in Jan/Feb - hoping to see some of you in the photo community join in this celebration of our works - here's the contact info:

Tri-Lakes Center for the Arts
PO Box 1154; Palmer Lake, CO 80133
Phone 719-481-0475; FAX 719-522-2853

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Tag as I am interested as well.