Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Huge Photography Competition!!!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Huge Photography Competition!!!

Postby Jesse Peterson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 pm

jason.wichman wrote:Jesse, this is why I love forums.....

Point taken, Jason. My comment was drawing on an existing pet peeve and I didn't read your post closely enough. Your comments here are well reasoned. My apologies.

Regardless, best of luck to you Adam. You captured a dramatic moment and your composition is spot on.
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:36 am

I kind of agree with Jason that there is no shadow under the clouds. Or anywhere. My skills are way below any of this so I am not one to squawk but that was a good point. If there is no PS I would say he used a GND filter which is what I use to get some really cool contrasing shots. But still there is more than sharpening here. No shadows. The Storm Passes photo doesn't really do it for me either and I'm surprised you would go for that. Personally I like the birds just cause I know how tough it is to catch them and it is a good picture.

Good luck Adam.

Postby 14erdude83 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Voted for you bud, Great Photo!!!! good luck to you :mrgreen:

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Thanks Jason. As I said I am not good enough to know how these shots are made/taken. If I did I would probably be out shooting and pushing my photos instead of sitting at a Cad station. I just know what I like and like Adam there are a lot of great photogs on this site alone. Happy shooting.

Postby adkinsadam1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Steve Gio wrote:I kind of agree with Jason that there is no shadow under the clouds. Or anywhere. My skills are way below any of this so I am not one to squawk but that was a good point. If there is no PS I would say he used a GND filter which is what I use to get some really cool contrasing shots. But still there is more than sharpening here. No shadows. The Storm Passes photo doesn't really do it for me either and I'm surprised you would go for that. Personally I like the birds just cause I know how tough it is to catch them and it is a good picture.

Good luck Adam.

There was no neutral grad. Just sharpening, cropping.

Postby MtHurd » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Nice photo! Green usually means hail and I guess your 4-Runner found out.

I would also like to vote on this thread as the least likely to have an argument in it...O wait, there already is! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Sharpening... C'mon!!!

Postby adkinsadam1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:45 am

I think in the grands scheme of things these photos do not look terrible as far as photoshop is concerned. Except for the Octopus House. I'm not just this huge HDR atheist, but the post processing is by far too much on that one. And it is amazing to me the kind of comments I've heard about it! People think it is the most beautiful and incredible photograph they have ever seen! Anyways, those are my thoughts. My favorite teen image is mine, "Green Supercell", and my favorite adult one is "Isoceles Peak". Please remember to vote for me, Adam Adkins, "Green Supercell"! Thanks so much!

Postby England » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:43 pm

I tried to vote for you, but in the end it asks for all of my personal information. :shock: NO thank you!
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby Jon Frohlich » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:15 pm

England wrote:I tried to vote for you, but in the end it asks for all of my personal information. :shock: NO thank you!

Simple answer: Lie

Postby Steve Gio » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:37 pm

I like the 4 dear one and the wheat in the adult section. Quite a few of these pictures in both sections look altered, some more than others. I wonder if this was really a qualifying factor. Either way I dind't vote at all. It is election day and I just have had enough of people who lack a certain trait called humility. Vote for me p p please.

Postby England » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:
England wrote:I tried to vote for you, but in the end it asks for all of my personal information. :shock: NO thank you!

Simple answer: Lie

You might find this hard to believe, but that is something I NEVER do. Not even the occasional, "white lie".
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

PreviousNext