Dog friendly hikes in the Sierra Blanca area?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Whitey
Trip Reports (0)

Dog friendly hikes in the Sierra Blanca area?

Post by Whitey »

Hi folks,

I'm taking a little road-trip the first week in November with my pups. I'll probably head up to Lily Lake one day and hang out at the sand dunes for part of a day I mention "dog friendly" because I don't think they are allowed on the hikes at the Great Sand Dunes NP.
Lake Como? Spanish Peaks?

Looking for something maybe 5-10 miles with some water ideally. Something within a reasonable (45min-1hr) distance from Alamosa.

Thanks!

SharonH
14ers: 34 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog friendly hikes in the Sierra Blanca area?

Post by SharonH »

Dogs are actually allowed on the dunes, but need to be leashed. This is a good time of the year, as the sand is so hot in the summer/early fall that I worry about paw burns. Take bags to clean up and pack out any "accidents."
Whitey
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Whitey »

According to their website:

Pets are permitted in the main national park day use areas and in the national preserve as long as they are kept on a leash less than 6 feet long. They are not permitted in the national park backcountry.

I assume when they say backcountry, they are referring to their trails like Medano Peak, Sand Creek Lakes etc. I'll have to give them a shout tomorrow to clarify.
SharonH
14ers: 34 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SharonH »

It is hard to tell from the map on the website how far into the dunes dogs are allowed. We have taken our dogs up to the High Dune multiple times, assuming that was within the permitted area.
darryle
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by darryle »

This is the link to the national parks pet info for the dunes.

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/pets.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
darryle
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by darryle »

The Zapata Falls trailhead is closed (locked gate from the Dunes road) until the 1/1/2011. Another great hike in the area but you'll need to wait.