Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Site Pop-up changes

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

Re: Site Pop-up changes

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:48 pm

USAKeller wrote:Hahahahaha! The iPad is the only Apple computer I will EVER own and it was bought solely for entertainment! I'm still partial to my 3 Dell's for real work! If I place my finger on a thread, the pop-up comes up. If I tap twice then it goes into the link. The problem is just that I can't view about 2-4 links above and below the one the pop-up is showing. Oh well, it's minor and just one more thing that makes me not want a Mac!

I almost bought one a few weeks ago but I just couldn't push myself to the dark side. :)
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby tmathews » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:53 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I almost bought one a few weeks ago but I just couldn't push myself to the dark side. :)

+1. NEVER give in to the Dark Side! :twisted:

Postby kaiman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:19 pm

tmathews wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:I almost bought one a few weeks ago but I just couldn't push myself to the dark side. :)

+1. NEVER give in to the Dark Side! :twisted:

Dark side huh? I use Firefox/Safari on my two Macs with 14ers.com and my iPod Touch on a daily basis and haven't had any issues yet (I am also a Windows XP/7 and Ubuntu Linux user)... Plus, my computers are virus free. If that's giving in to the dark side then I'm all for it! :wink:
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby Oman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:24 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:... but I'm not sure how iPad works...

Here's how an Ipad works: Pay double the going rate for a netbook and triple the price of a Kindle, but you don't get a keyboard, USB port, or the ability to read a book on a glare-free screen in anything but perfect indoor light. You look cool sipping soy latte with it, though.

Postby JA_son27 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:27 pm

If you give in to the dark side you won't have to worry about spending tons of money on virus protection!
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby kaiman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Oman wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:... but I'm not sure how iPad works...

Here's how an Ipad works: Pay double the going rate for a netbook and triple the price of a Kindle, but you don't get a keyboard, USB port, or the ability to read a book on a glare-free screen in anything but perfect indoor light. You look cool sipping soy latte with it, though.

Oh please man, let's not get into a debate on a climbing website about the merits of Mac versus Windows versus Linux or whatever - they all have their uses and pros and cons. I personally use all of them on a daily basis both at work and at home and the stereotyping from fanboys on each side is ridiculous. Sounds like the PEBKAC to me... :wink:
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:04 pm

Sorry, my fault.

Anyone else having problems with the new popups? On the home page or pages like the main trip reports?
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby EmmaM » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:33 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Sorry, my fault.

Anyone else having problems with the new popups? On the home page or pages like the main trip reports?

Not necessarily the pop-ups, but I'm having some difficulty with the new cosmetic update, particularly in Google Chrome. When I highlight any link on the homepage (TRs, 14ers, current forum topics), the screen "freaks out" and is jumpy; the cursor won't focus as the entire page shifts up/down. This doesn't happen when opened with internet explorer.

Postby Fleischco » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:40 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Fleischco wrote:Google Chrome is bouncing all over the place.

Did you try clearing Chrome's browser cache?

Sorry just getting back. All works well after clearing cache in Google Chrome under Options.

Postby EmmaM » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:33 pm

Fleischco wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Fleischco wrote:Google Chrome is bouncing all over the place.

Did you try clearing Chrome's browser cache?

Sorry just getting back. All works well after clearing cache in Google Chrome under Options.

Yup. Thanks.

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:12 am

I'll chip in my 2cents. I like my Dell desktop. I like my Dell laptop. I really like my 3giphone, ipod and ipad. They are what they are and all of them seem to work well with whatever Bill throws at us. There are apps for analyzing digital data on the ipad that are just amazing and I wouldn't do without at work, and free. If I want to read a book at the beach, I'll read a book at the beach. I'm not going to use a screwdriver for a hammer. (Well, maybe sometimes!) :oops:
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Previous