Class III stuff (fairly) close to Denver

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Class III stuff (fairly) close to Denver

Post by hberry »

I was wondering if there are any good class III hikes fairly (within an 1.5 hours) of Denver that are at lower elevations so as to hopefully avoid too much snow?

I am hoping to introduce my friend to class III but don't want her first attempts to be in the ice and snow.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Class III stuff (fairly) close to Denver

Post by Monster5 »

Indian Peaks and Lost Creek Wilderness have plenty of II-IV options on 11ers, 12ers and 13ers. About an hour to the THs. Neva, Arapahos, Bison, Cooper, Taryalls... This still may be a little too high if you want to avoid snow/ice.

I've been exploring the open space parks in Jefferson County this fall. While typically dry year-round, I haven't seen any real, sustained class 3 options. You can do some short, light scrambling along with easy 6 mi loops in a few of the parks (look out for rattlesnakes). Maybe the easier routes at Cathedral Spires.

Try going to Summitpost and searching for peaks within 50 mi from Denver. Many of the standard routes up the lower front range peaks (9-10k) are class 1/2 with no defined class 3 options. Your best bet would be to hike the easy trail and find a few rock outcrops to explore along the way. Bishop Rock, Rampart Range, easier Flatirons (Dinosaur Mtn)...

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... bject_name
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Trudger
14ers: 7 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Trudger »

If you're looking for low exposure rock to start with and then a climb with scrambling options, you can scramble around on the rocks of Alderfer/Three Sisters Park (Jefferson County park near Evergreen). After climbing around on the park's rock formations, Elephant Butte is just north of the park. It can be ascended with or without scrambling, so you can pick and choose your spots for scrambling. I think the peak rises roughly 800-1000 feet from the park, with a round trip of somewhere around 5 miles. The summit is ~8,500 feet.
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

Thanks for the info!
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

Try the Mountaineers Route on Mt. Morrison above Red Rocks. Options exist to take the climbing to low 5th class if you get on the Off Route Beer Bottle Route.
Ish
14ers: 58 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ish »

gurlyclimber wrote:Try the Mountaineers Route on Mt. Morrison above Red Rocks. Options exist to take the climbing to low 5th class if you get on the Off Route Beer Bottle Route.
Agreed. Awesome training route.

Great moderate snow climb training when the conditions are right as well.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away..."
- Neil Young -
Ned-man
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ned-man »

Ish wrote:
gurlyclimber wrote:Try the Mountaineers Route on Mt. Morrison above Red Rocks. Options exist to take the climbing to low 5th class if you get on the Off Route Beer Bottle Route.
Agreed. Awesome training route.

Great moderate snow climb training when the conditions are right as well.
+1!
Erox72
14ers: 38 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Erox72 »

Just last week I climbed Pacific and Atlantic peaks. Located just south of Copper Mountain. The parking lot is only 6 miles on the left after you get off the Copper Mtn exit of I-70. If you approach Pacific from the north, the ridge to the top was solid class III. It looked really fun! We actually climbed the east ridge because we neglected to bring our helmuts. We still found some fun class III pitches to climb up from that direction. Be safe, wear a helmut!
-E
kmaley
14ers: 43 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (1)

Post by kmaley »

The Flatirons area above Boulder has some scrambling. Get a copy of Gerry Roach's book "Flatiron Classics" -- it was out of print for awhile, but now there is a new version in the stores. It includes a lot of class 3 and 4 scrambles as well as climbs in the 5.0 to 5.6 range (maybe a few that are harder than that). I'm afraid I've mostly done hiking in the area rather than scrambling, but one of these days I'll go check out some of the easier-rated scrambles.
Kapelmuur
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kapelmuur »

kmaley wrote:The Flatirons area above Boulder has some scrambling. Get a copy of Gerry Roach's book "Flatiron Classics" -- it was out of print for awhile, but now there is a new version in the stores. It includes a lot of class 3 and 4 scrambles as well as climbs in the 5.0 to 5.6 range (maybe a few that are harder than that). I'm afraid I've mostly done hiking in the area rather than scrambling, but one of these days I'll go check out some of the easier-rated scrambles.
Some quick and easy Class 3 options in the Boulder OSMP are climbing Dinosaur Mountain and the Nebel Horn. Look them up on Summitpost for more route info.