Whitney conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Whitney conditions

Post by dpage »

After looking in various places for trip reports on the Mt Whitney Trail and failing...I thought I would turn here to see if anyone has been up in the last week or will be hitting the trail between now and July 20. The Inyo NF site doesn't give dates for their updates and some of the information on the site that does have a date is from the start of June. So any information would be awesome and please, please don't tell me to go to the Whitney Portal site because the more I try to use it the less user-friendly I think it is. And whatever information is there hasn't been super helpful thus far.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Whitney conditions

Post by Presto »

Have you checked for trip reports/updates on summitpost? They have a large west coast following ... just a suggestion. Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

summit post didn't have any recent reports that I could find other than about a month ago.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 5c427a2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was under the California forum ... it might be helpful. :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
HarryQuach
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by HarryQuach »

Hiked up the mountaineers route (the final part was similar to the top section of n maroon) and went down the main trail on 7/3 TR
http://thehamm.net/2010/07/mt-whitney-m ... ers-route/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.socalpeaks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alright!
catullus
14ers: 14 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by catullus »

Climbed the MR on 7/4. Conditions up to the iceberg lake are HOT -- bring a hat and sunscreen or do it before dawn. The right gully is full of snow 2/3 of the way to the notch. The left gully is mostly free of snow. I recommend taking the right gully -- the snow is much nicer than the loose rock on the left. From the notch to the summit there is some steep snow that can be avoided with class 3 (maybe class 4) scrambling. Route is really quite nice right now.
Jelgan
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Jelgan »

Whitney Portal Store forums has recent trip reports. They're mixed in with other threads so you sometimes have to do a little bit of searching but they're there.

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... d=1&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve C
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Steve C »

And here's a plug for the Whitney Zone forums....

(click either of the pics below to see the larger webcam views.)