Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Old mattress for climbing wall

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Old mattress for climbing wall

Postby Moboy56 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:04 pm

not to change the subject, (nice wall wesley!) but does anyone know how to build an ice climbing wall? the one you can use ax and tools and crampons on? i've seen pictures but that's it.
thanks
“The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”
Jack London

Postby pocketmaces » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Nice work , I'd love to see the before, during, and after pics too. Not sure I could pull that off but I wouldn't mind trying.

Postby Robzilla » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:02 pm

That is indeed a nice wall. Do you know anyone replacing carpets? The old carpet padding could be piled up to make a nice crash pad.

Postby JA_son27 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 pm

I did see two mattresses on the sidewalk near the intersection of Park Ave. and Delgany (Near Coors field) :D
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Safe bet that you'll bring home bed bugs, as DFC mentioned. :-&
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby centrifuge » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Moboy56 wrote:not to change the subject, (nice wall wesley!) but does anyone know how to build an ice climbing wall? the one you can use ax and tools and crampons on? i've seen pictures but that's it.
thanks

I think you are looking for these: http://www.iceholdz.com/ but I dont know if you can use crampons on them.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby skiwall » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:34 pm

centrifuge wrote:I think you are looking for these: http://www.iceholdz.com/ but I dont know if you can use crampons on them.

That is so awesome.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Wesley wrote:Bill, let me know if it falls through with your prospective buyer. I could throw in some cash and you'd be welcome to climb on the wall.

Mattress found a new home; sorry about that; had I only known you were looking for this last week, I would have put the kaibash on this plan and gotten it to you. They did drive down from Cheyenne so...
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Carl » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:17 pm

Still looking for an old mattress if anyone is planning to get rid of one for cheap. Bill, thanks anyway, sounds like yours went to someone who really wanted it! The ice holdz are pretty wild but I wonder how quickly you would have to replace them.

Here are some pics of the build process for those that are interested...

Like I said before, the ceiling in my garage was made of I-beams, which are not designed to take a downward pulling force. This meant I had to cut out the drywall, pull out the insulation, and put new 2x10 joists in the ceiling. Here we are getting ready to throw up the new joists.

Starting to get the frame up. One wall is 15 degrees and the other 25 degrees.

Instead of connecting the two walls with another overhanging section I decided to have a small vertical portion. Probably a little easier to build.

Took this picture of the woody about an hour ago. Just need to finish a little trim work and figure out an easy way to lock off that door I made.

The door on the side accesses storage behind the wall.

I still need to add up my receipts but I'm guessing the wood and hardware ran $800 to $900. I ordered the 1,200 T Nuts in bulk but those alone were about $100. And the plywood I used was pricey at nearly $40 a sheet. On top of that of course are the holds. I got really lucky and a friend hooked me up big time with most of the holds you see in the pictures. Not only did I underestimate the cost but also the amount of time this thing took. I had some help from a few friends (Ben, Sean, etc) and a good bit of help from my friend Marc and my wife, but probably 70% of construction was me alone. Since I still wanted to head to the mountains most weekends, this thing took all summer to build just working in the evening and the occasional Sunday afternoon.

Here are some sites and threads on MP I found useful:
Plans http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/pdf/How-to-Build-a-Home-Bouldering-Wall.pdf
Pictures http://mountainproject.com/v/general_climbing/what_does_your_woody_look_like/106606591__5
Pictures http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=771750;page=2;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25
T nut placement http://www.mountainproject.com/v/training_forum/tnut_placements/106646080#a_106653137
Cleaning used holds http://mountainproject.com/v/climbing_gear_discussion/cleaning_climbing_holds/106134533#a_106134558

Now back to finishing dry walling the garage...

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:54 am

Moboy56 wrote:not to change the subject, (nice wall wesley!) but does anyone know how to build an ice climbing wall? the one you can use ax and tools and crampons on? i've seen pictures but that's it.
thanks

THe sure fire way to build an ice wall is to tell your wife she looks a little bit fat in that new dress!
You're done.

You did a good job Wesley. I built my wall on the back of the barn in 1995. We just land on a bed of mulch. I did, however, have to protect the PT wood from the elements and used latex paint with a sand additive for a little traction advantage when smearing. (Pressure treated plywood is as slick as a c*&$ a&$ when it gets wet.)
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby pocketmaces » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks for posting these pics....Great job, looks like fun. Now I have my winter project to get started on.

Postby peter303 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:27 am

I suggested to a climber friend who had a four story townhome (including basement) that he replace the stairwell with a climbing well :P

PreviousNext