Hiking with An SLR camera

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stlouishiker
14ers: 8 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Hiking with An SLR camera

Post by stlouishiker »

This is pretty late, but my school is taking a hiking trip tomorrow and I can take our Canon 50d, but how do you hike with an SLR? It seems like it would be big and awkward to carry around your neck, but I don't want to have to get it out of my pack whenever I want to take a picture.

Thanks
hatidua
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiking with An SLR camera

Post by hatidua »

I leave mine in my pack with various lenses until I'm in an area that merits bringing it out. Most hikes aren't great the entire time so it stays put. When things get good, it's no bother having it around my neck as there is enough interesting subjects for me to forget about the device dangling from my neck.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I've hiked with mine a good bit. If you have a decent holster you can attach it to your pack's waist band with a couple of carabiners. Don't try to hike with it with just the neck strap though. That's a recipe for disaster.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

When I used to hike with an SLR, I would put the strap around my neck and hold the camera in my hand as I hiked, or I would wrap the strap around my hand/wrist and hold the camera in the same hand. I was also able to run down mountains in this fashion, which surprisingly worked quite well. I never liked putting it in my pack because you never know when an excellent shot will present itself and the time taken to get it from your pack could cause you to miss the shot (think wildlife).
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
stlouishiker
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by stlouishiker »

lanternerouge08 wrote:When I used to hike with an SLR, I would put the strap around my neck and hold the camera in my hand as I hiked, or I would wrap the strap around my hand/wrist and hold the camera in the same hand. I was also able to run down mountains in this fashion, which surprisingly worked quite well. I never liked putting it in my pack because you never know when an excellent shot will present itself and the time taken to get it from your pack could cause you to miss the shot (think wildlife).
I don't have a holster, so I'll try that if its not raining tomorrow morning

Thanks
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

bring the slr and a p&s. keep the slr in ur pack. pull it out when necessary
Kapelmuur
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kapelmuur »

lanternerouge08 wrote:When I used to hike with an SLR, I would put the strap around my neck and hold the camera in my hand as I hiked, or I would wrap the strap around my hand/wrist and hold the camera in the same hand. I was also able to run down mountains in this fashion, which surprisingly worked quite well. I never liked putting it in my pack because you never know when an excellent shot will present itself and the time taken to get it from your pack could cause you to miss the shot (think wildlife).
That's some serious dedication! As for me, it gets stuffed into the top of the pack.
GravityPilot
14ers: 18 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by GravityPilot »

I have a Lowe Pro Top Load Zoom. I've made a belt out of 2" flat webbing that it hangs on separately from my pack. Then I take the shoulder strap and run it under each arm but over the top of my main pack. It hangs quite nice in the middle but I can push it over to the side to be out of the way of the fly on my pants, harness etc. It's been great for ski touring, mountaineering and general hiking. I can even run with it and it doesn't really bounce. The only pain is if I need to take my pack off, it's best to remove the whole rig, but that price is easy to pay for the ease of use and camera protection. It's also a system that anyone can wear so I can hand it off to someone else if need be.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Kapelmuur wrote:
That's some serious dedication! As for me, it gets stuffed into the top of the pack.
And it's also the reason I don't hike with it anymore....too much bulk and annoyance. I've since bought the Canon Powershot S90, a compact digital that performs like a DSLR. I can run with that in my hand no problem.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
astromwall
14ers: 28 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by astromwall »

i have a top loading "m rock" brand camera dealy. I wear my normal day pack and then use a couple little caribeaners (howerver you spell that one) to strap it to my chest/stomach area. I strap the caribeaners to the shoulder straps of my daypack. Like this....here i am hiking yale.
GA_peach
14ers: 58 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GA_peach »

I used to carry a Nikon FE2 with a 28mm lens, I put it in a army one quart canteen cover pouch and it fit fine. The army web gear I always wore gave you both hands free for anything and the ammo pouches on front would hold my 70-300mm lens but I rarely cared that, I used those more for snacks.

Alan
There's a fine line between hardcore and stupidity.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

lanternerouge08 wrote:
Kapelmuur wrote:
And it's also the reason I don't hike with it anymore....too much bulk and annoyance. I've since bought the Canon Powershot S90, a compact digital that performs like a DSLR. I can run with that in my hand no problem.
I know what you mean.

How do you like that S90? I've heard that the EV is always active via the dial thing on the back and often gets turned when you don't want it to - messing up exposure - in the Program mode. Has that been a problem?