Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cameras, AGAIN

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Cameras, AGAIN

Postby hatidua » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:54 pm

Last edited by hatidua on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby hatidua » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:59 pm

hatidua wrote:
xpda wrote:
hatidua wrote:That camera would really interest me if they made a wide angle lens for it. 28mm equivalent just isn't wide enough for so very many of us.

They haven one now that's 14-28mm equivalent: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/g_vario_7_14.html
They also have a 16mm equivalent: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/g_fisheye_8.html

Will those fit the LX3/5 or only the GH1?.

Postby xpda » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:11 pm

hatidua wrote:Will those fit the LX3/5 or only the GH1?.

I believe they only fit the micro four-thirds cameras like GF1, GH1, and GH2. The LX3, LX5, and FZ series don't have interchangeable lenses.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:52 am

I believe you actually can use those lenses with the NEX-5. Sony makes an adapter. However, AF won't work when you use the other lenses - must use manual focus. Everything else should work fine.

Still, if it catches on, there will be more of the Sony e-mount lenses, I'm sure. One thing I'm waiting on is for review of those three. I'd like to see blur plots for them and distortion data. Sony typically makes pretty good glass I think.

Postby hatidua » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:28 am

I've read several rather encouraging reviews of the LX5 but will probably continue to drag the 5DII into the mountains as it's something I've become accustomed to. Lighter and smaller would be nice though...

Postby covfrrider » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Just pulled the trigger on the new Canon S95... will replace my A720IS.

Will report back when it arrives.

Postby Tory Wells » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:44 pm

covfrrider wrote:Just pulled the trigger on the new Canon S95... will replace my A720IS.

Will report back when it arrives.

Excellent choice....I have the S90 and love it, as will you with the S95. It's like a DSLR in a tiny package.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Kapelmuur » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:22 pm

hatidua wrote:I've read several rather encouraging reviews of the LX5 but will probably continue to drag the 5DII into the mountains as it's something I've become accustomed to. Lighter and smaller would be nice though...

I've been in a similar situation although I've only brought the about to pull the trigger on an Lx5 (although surprisingly few local shops seem to carry them). I have a 5DmkII but have only brought it with me twice this whole season, as my goal has typically been get up the hill ASAP. The Lx5 will hopefully bridge the gap between the dslr and the iPhone, which I've been using to bust out quickly and get a few snaps...and then cringe later at home at the piss-poor quality.
Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Postby hatidua » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:50 am

Kapelmuur wrote: I have a 5DmkII but have only brought it with me twice this whole season, as my goal has typically been get up the hill ASAP.
I take a G10, 5DII, 17-40, PL, and split-ND on every hike. I did Longs once and figured my late start time wouldn't merit carrying the 5DII.....it ended up having some of the most interesting weather I've ever seen on Longs. I don't want to repeat that incident so the photo stuff comes along now. I even carried the 70-200 up Whitney last week but never ended up using it, that hill is well suited to the wide stuff.

Postby pw » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:15 pm

hatidua wrote:
Kapelmuur wrote: I have a 5DmkII but have only brought it with me twice this whole season, as my goal has typically been get up the hill ASAP.
I take a G10, 5DII, 17-40, PL, and split-ND on every hike. I did Longs once and figured my late start time wouldn't merit carrying the 5DII.....it ended up having some of the most interesting weather I've ever seen on Longs. I don't want to repeat that incident so the photo stuff comes along now. I even carried the 70-200 up Whitney last week but never ended up using it, that hill is well suited to the wide stuff.

How do you like the neutral density filter? And is it a screw on, what brand, and is it a .6, a .9, etc? I've been thinking of getting one for months, but not sure I want to deal with the those film type filters that require a holder, and not sure of the effectiveness of the screw on type filters.

Postby Kapelmuur » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:29 pm

hatidua wrote:

Again, I admire the dedication, especially with the dead weight of the 70-200 on a 22-mile climb!

pw wrote:How do you like the neutral density filter? And is it a screw on, what brand, and is it a .6, a .9, etc? I've been thinking of getting one for months, but not sure I want to deal with the those film type filters that require a holder, and not sure of the effectiveness of the screw on type filters.

Most landscape photographers use whats called graduated neutral density filters. The bottom is clear and then they either fade to -1 to -3 stops gradually or by "hard step". Which one you use and how you use them depends greatly on the situation, but they are typically used to even out the dramatic exposure difference between a bright sky and dark terrain. Usually they are drop-in filters that attach to a Cokin P holder (Lee also makes one). Here's a link to a great series of articles by the Canadian photographer Darwin Wiggett, who does a great job explaining the ins and outs of the filter thing:

http://singhray.blogspot.com/search/label/Darwin%20Wiggett
Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Postby pw » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Kapelmuur wrote:Most landscape photographers use whats called graduated neutral density filters. The bottom is clear and then they either fade to -1 to -3 stops gradually or by "hard step". Which one you use and how you use them depends greatly on the situation, but they are typically used to even out the dramatic exposure difference between a bright sky and dark terrain. Usually they are drop-in filters that attach to a Cokin P holder (Lee also makes one). Here's a link to a great series of articles by the Canadian photographer Darwin Wiggett, who does a great job explaining the ins and outs of the filter thing:

http://singhray.blogspot.com/search/label/Darwin%20Wiggett

I mostly knew that stuff, I was trying to get an idea of I can take the shortcut to using that type of filter and instead just use a screw on type GND filter, like a polarizer. The problem with that would seem to be that you can't slide it around and place it at the optimum position. Thanks for the link, it's helpful to see a video demonstration of how that filter works. That sort of filter seems like it would be more useful in Colorado than most places, where you have the high contrast between snowy peaks and darker ground, one of those two things isn't going to be exposed properly.

PreviousNext