Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cameras, AGAIN

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Cameras, AGAIN

Postby steelfrog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:03 pm

OK, so I bought the Panasonic LX3 as a lightweight compromise to an SLR. It has been very good. I am going to get a new camera in the next year. I am told that there are a new category of cameras now that are an upgrade over P$S cameras, but not as big as SLRs. They are essentially a mirrorless SLR, with interchangeable lenses, etc. Two options are:

Olympus Pen EP2 and
Sony NEX-5

These look like a substantial upgrade from a P&S, and in the case of the Sony, not too heavy/bulky. Does anyone have comment on this?

Many thanks

Re: Cameras, AGAIN

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:43 pm

If I were to get one right now, it would probably be the Sony. Several reviewers have raved about it, and yet received the Olympus and Panasonic versions with a somewhat lukewarm response.

I think they're called SLD. Single Lens Direct view.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5A.HTM

Weight is not bad - 18 oz with battery and kit lens - about what my SLR without a lens weighs. Smaller package, too.

The whole genre came out of the micro four thirds thing, which never really caught on, but seems to be evolving. They look like PNS cameras with SLR lenses sticking out of them.

I have had no personal experience with any of these, however. But it's tempting.

They're also saying ISO 1600 is usable at a printed size of 16x24? Wow.

On the less good side, only three e-mount lenses are being made for it. The 18-200 weighs 1lb, 3oz. So nearly two pounds with this lens. That's something pretty close to a standard SLR and lens.
Still, just over a pound with the 18-55 kit lens and it could be a fun little unit.

Let us know how you like it if you get one.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5A4.HTM

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1344/cat/83

Postby mattpayne11 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:54 pm

Wow Jim - nice looking camera. Auto-HDR sounds sweet. I've been impressed with the ease-of-use of my Sony, although the features are somewhat lacking. It is definitely time to upgrade soon.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:11 am

It would be nice if there were actually a store I knew about around here where I could hold that thing in my hand. I'll bet it feels great.

I'm still wrestling with an ultralightweight holster design for an SLR - or perhaps this camera. The difficulty is the lens. The idea would be that the screen side would fit against the pack hipbelt, lens facing out, grip facing up. You would pull on the grip to unholster the camera for shooting. It needs to be fast and light. Right now my little 1200 zips into the hipbelt, and I can remove it and put it back while moving - sometimes critical on long routes - and still get lots of good photos. I'd like to do this with an SLR or SLD. I'll have to sit down and design the thing. Unless anyone knows of something like this.

Postby Bean » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:17 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:It would be nice if there were actually a store I knew about around here where I could hold that thing in my hand. I'll bet it feels great.

I'm still wrestling with an ultralightweight holster design for an SLR - or perhaps this camera. The difficulty is the lens. The idea would be that the screen side would fit against the pack hipbelt, lens facing out, grip facing up. You would pull on the grip to unholster the camera for shooting. It needs to be fast and light. Right now my little 1200 zips into the hipbelt, and I can remove it and put it back while moving - sometimes critical on long routes - and still get lots of good photos. I'd like to do this with an SLR or SLD. I'll have to sit down and design the thing. Unless anyone knows of something like this.

LowePro TLZ-1 (or mini, or whatever is size-appropriate). Run the hip-belt of your pack through the loop on the TLZ. I ski and climb with my 30D configured like this all the time.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby steelfrog » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 am

So, this all arises out of a struggle I've had since I lugged a Canon digital rebel up the MR on Whitney, and I vowed "Never again." The LX-3 does a nice job, but when I see what can be done with the SLRs these days, the depth of field, color separation, etc. of a full sized sensor and etc. can't be matched by a PNS. I'm gonna buy something new in the next year, and wonder if I should just bite the bullet with an SLR and pay the weight penalty or if one of these new breeds might do the trick.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Bean wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:It would be nice if there were actually a store I knew about around here where I could hold that thing in my hand. I'll bet it feels great.

LowePro TLZ-1 (or mini, or whatever is size-appropriate). Run the hip-belt of your pack through the loop on the TLZ. I ski and climb with my 30D configured like this all the time.

Cool. I think I have one of these. Two, actually - REI had a sale at like six bucks or something. I use it for my SLR all the time - but still pretty big. Guess an SLR is big, come to think of it. Maybe I should start using it for backpacking/peakbagging. I've been using it for around town - shooting music events, etc - where I usually carry it on a belt. Still big and bulky. Since I have two, one could easily be sacrificed for an ultralight modification. (hehe...) (Maybe for a new NEX-5?) Thanks for reminding me about this case. I've had it for a while, maybe I should try it on an easier peak and see how it goes.

Do you find it bangs around a lot on the hip belt? Or does it pretty much stay parked right there and you don't notice it when hiking/climbing?

Thx!

Postby Bean » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:22 pm

I don't notice it at all. The only time it gets in the way is if you drop your hands skiing, which as we all know is a big no-no. There are a couple plastic D-rings on the TLZ, and I use a biner to hook one of those D-rings to the shoulder strap or whatever other strap is around there to hold it back and out of the way, if the pack has a strap appropriate for it.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby xpda » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:01 pm

I have a Panasonic GF1, a Micro four thirds camera. It's better (bigger sensor) than Point and Shoot cameras, and is pretty small. It has separate lenses like SLRs, and they're priced up in the SLR ranges. But the pictures are really good.

Panasonic has just released an FZ100 that looks good, too. It's light, has really good photo quality for a Point and Shoot, manual modes, Raw, etc.

Check [url]dpreview.com[/url] for reviews.

Postby hatidua » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:13 pm

xpda wrote:I have a Panasonic GF1, a Micro four thirds camera. It's better (bigger sensor) than Point and Shoot cameras, and is pretty small. It has separate lenses like SLRs, and they're priced up in the SLR ranges. But the pictures are really good.

That camera would really interest me if they made a wide angle lens for it. 28mm equivalent just isn't wide enough for so very many of us.

Postby X++ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:32 pm

I have the LX3 (had it for years). It's a great wide angle compact camera, and it's what I use when hiking. The LX5 just came out, and you should have probably gotten that, but oh well.

What the LX3/5 misses for me is the ability to do good zoom shots. So I have a bunch of research to do on that front. I might just get a big bulky SLR with a stabilized lens for that.

P.S. The LX3 does do "in-camera" HDR, and I use it a bunch, but it is somewhat of a gimmick since it is at ISO 400 (noisy) and it can make the photo distorted in some situations especially on bluebird days. Plus it doesn't do the standard 3 exposure merge for HDR, it just does some DSP on a single photo. You can get true HDR from the LX3 because it has built-in exposure bracketing, but you need the latest firmware to get the standard +/-2 EV because the baseline firmware only did +/-1 EV.

Postby xpda » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:51 pm

hatidua wrote:That camera would really interest me if they made a wide angle lens for it. 28mm equivalent just isn't wide enough for so very many of us.

They haven one now that's 14-28mm equivalent: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/g_vario_7_14.html
They also have a 16mm equivalent: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/g_fisheye_8.html

Next