Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ditching the 5-STAR rating system

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

Ditching the 5-STAR rating system

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:08 pm

I've received many requests to change the 5-star rating system that currently exists for Trip Reports and User Photos. I agree that it's become quite useless because most of the stuff gets a "5" because we're less likely to vote if we don't like the item. I'm going to replace it with a LIKE/DISLIKE system and expand the use throughout the site. I know, I know, it's similar to stuff on social networking sites like Facebook but I think it will be more effective. I can apply it to more stuff on the site and create pages to display stuff users like or dislike.

So far, look for the ImageLIKE DISLIKE links at the top of Trip Reports and individual photo pages in User Photos. I'm currently working on adding options to the user photo thumbnail pages so we can like/dislike multiple photos on one page.

For those of you that don't want to see the LIKE/DISLIKE info, I'll also be adding profile options to turn them off!

I still have a few adjustments to make to the link functionality before I expand it throughout the site...
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Re: Ditching the 5-STAR rating system

Postby tmathews » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:34 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:For those of you that don't want to see the LIKE/DISLIKE info, I'll also be adding profile options to turn them off!

Do you mean that members can disable LIKE/DISLIKE voting for TR's and user photos or does the option mean that they just won't be visible?

Thanks, Bill!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:41 pm

tmathews wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:For those of you that don't want to see the LIKE/DISLIKE info, I'll also be adding profile options to turn them off!

Do you mean that members can disable LIKE/DISLIKE voting for TR's and user photos or does the option mean that they just won't be visible?

Thanks, Bill!

To start, it will just be an option to make the LIKE/DISLIKE stuff hidden. Nothing fancy

Postby BAUMGARA » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:18 pm

How about....
"Epic" or "Non-Epic"
:lol:
Steve says no...

Postby Johnson » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:27 am

I don't mind the 5-star system. Frequent users of this site are discerning enough to know which is truly a "5-Star" report and which isn't. This also means that a report with little activity or few "stars" can be an excellent report and of value to us. If someone takes the time to do their best on a report I value their time spent. I like Baumgara's suggestion!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Furthermore » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:09 pm

What about having both?
I guess it really depends on how many people use the new feature. Is it about the same number of users as before? I could see the thumbs being more useful if more people utilized that feature.

The thumbs up and down is too much like Facebook for my flavor but then again that is the modern way.

Postby Gahugafuga » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:20 pm

I'd humbly suggest replacing the 5-star system with a 10-star system. I don't have a calculator in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that would be about twice as good and compliant with the metric system!

Postby Jeremy Bauman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:30 pm

I also agree with Baumgara.

Epic/Non-Epic would be.... well.. Epic!

Postby tommyboy360 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Furthermore wrote:The thumbs up and down is too much like Facebook for my flavor but then again that is the modern way.

Actually, Facebook could use a thumbs down/dislike button.

So, if a report gets 5 dislike votes can it be permanently deleted? Trip Report execution following a trial by jury :twisted:

Thumbs up on the change. I've seen so many garbage reports with horrible photos get 5-Star votes. Pass or Fail is better. I also see that previous 5-star votes were not grandfathered in as a "thumbs up/like."
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:55 pm

When I get a chance I'll write a quick program to convert the previous 5-stars to "likes." Makes sense to me.

I just adjusted the like/dislike options on the trip report page so it's more clear. Instead of having a "neither" option, a "remove" link now shows up next to your like or dislike.