Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trip Report uploading probs

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Trip Report uploading probs

Postby Kiefer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:01 am

I'm about to give up uploading this report and just do it over at SP.

Problem is: everytime I cut & paste my text from a word doc, it pastes just fine into the trip report page. The catch is when I go to highlight something to insert a hyperlink or image, the cursor 'jumps' to some random point much further towards the beginning of the report. It highlights everything. I'm literally fighting with the cursor to deselect what I don't want...and usually losing. You can watch the sidebar increase & decrease in size when it does this. It's actually impossible to insert anything.

I've tried cutting & pasting my text into a .txt format and it still does it.

Any ideas? :?:
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Re: Trip Report uploading probs

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:14 am

I know exactly what you're talking about. I get around this by putting the image codes ([img]blahblahblah[/img]) and all other coding into the Word doc before pasting it into the trip reports page.

I still have an issue with the line spacing. Even when I get this right in the doc, it doesn't carry over to the page, so I have to find my insert points with the cursor and then hit the "enter" key each time to add them. The frustration with this is that once you've added one, the page jumps right back up to the top, and you have to scroll back down and locate your next paragraph break each time. Also, if you want to highlight something, it's much easier to - again - locate the insertion point with your cursor, and then use the arrow keys to move over each character, rather than the mouse, or it's very hard to control what gets highlighted.

Don't give up Kiefer! We all enjoy your reports. And Bill, I don't want to sound like a whiner. Maybe there's something that we all could be doing differently, to facilitate this issue ourselves.

Postby FCSquid » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:15 am

Sounds like a browser issue. I noticed this happening from a machine running XP and IE6. IE7 and IE8 seem much better, and I've used Google Chrome without issue.

I'd try switching browsers to see if that helps.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby Monster5 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:16 am

USAKeller answered this the other day in another post and it fixed it for me. Something to do with some internet browser versions. Change the page to "compatibility view." Tools -> compatibility view settings -> add 14ers.com
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby tmathews » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:23 am

Hey, Kiefer,

Are you using Internet Explorer? If so, check out Caroline's response to this post.

If you don't see the "Compatibility View" button, right-click on the Menu Bar below the Refresh button and a window will pop-up which will allow you to check "Compatibility View Button". You may have to log out of IE and then go back to the Trip Reports page. If the view is active, you'll see an icon next to the Refresh button which looks like a page being torn in half. Click on it to make sure it's active for the page. I had the same issue with editing reports and this fixed it. It actually fixed a lot of things for me (including editing posts on my Wordpress blog).

Hope that helps!

compatibilityview.JPG
Compatibility View Button
compatibilityview.JPG (30 KiB) Viewed 428 times

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 am

Kiefer,
Your TRs are among the best, and have either influenced or been copied (stylistically) by a number of people on this site.
You haven't posted one here in a while. It's time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:29 am

Yes, this is a known Internet Explorer 8 bug. Going into "Compatibility View", as mentioned by tmathews, will solve the problem.

Just don't do it if you've typed in part of the trip report and haven't saved it yet. If you encounter the IE bug when you're typing in your report, save it and then go back in and edit after clicking the "Compatibility View" button on the IE toolbar.

This is a frequent question, so I'll put a note on the TR ADD/EDIT pages for IE users.

The problem can be avoided entirely by using the latest version of FireFox, Chrome or Safari.
Only SNOW will end the madness