Bristol Head?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Bristol Head?

Post by huffy13 »

A buddy at work was telling me about taking some ATVs up Bristol Head with his wife and in-laws last month....I was wondering if anyone might have some info on what the hike of Bristol Head is like or if anyone knows where I might find a TR for it. The pics he took looked amazing as well a few images on Google maps.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
AJB3
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bristol Head?

Post by AJB3 »

if this is the mountain between Creede and Lake City I've been almost there via 4wd vehicle looking for elk...........going from Creede to LC just past Spring Creek falls take a quick right..........road goes thru the creek which requires 4wd ..........gorgeous views,boo coo elk
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

AJB3 wrote:if this is the mountain between Creede and Lake City I've been almost there via 4wd vehicle looking for elk...........going from Creede to LC just past Spring Creek falls take a quick right..........road goes thru the creek which requires 4wd ..........gorgeous views,boo coo elk
That would be it. The views in his pictures looked amazing...and pictures never do justice to what these places look like in person. I would love to see them myself. He did say that there was tons of wildlife too.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

I've driven by BH many times on Colo 149, have never taken a closer examination of it, and find the mountain (and area surrounding it) quite intriguing. I too would like to see examples of the photography huffy13 alluded to or any historic data.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

You can basically drive to the top of Bristol Head. The most adventurous way to climb Bristol Head would be to start at Spring Creek Pass and traverse Snow Mesa over to Bristol Head. Get yourself a map and have a good time.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Yeah, the pics my buddy had were from them taking 4 wheelers to the top. There was a 4WD pickup there when he got there, so I knew driving was an option. I just can't get over how awesome the pics were.