Nicest Front Range 13er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sand man
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Post by sand man »

Navajo is pretty awesome and has some great scrambling near the top.

sand man
"Unto the hills around do I lift up my longing eyes" - Psalm 121:1
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I've got a few recommendations:

"The Citadel" from Dry Gulch is an amazing view. There are 2 summits: the west one, I'd say is class 2+/3. The east one is class 3+ and is pretty exposed. There is an unpleasant loose gully on the approach to the summit, but there are some chimneys near it where you can avoid, but not all of it.

Mount Alice - one of the most scenic mountains ever. Really long approach mileage-wise, mostly good trail though. The last ridge is class 2+. There are some scrambling opportunities though.

McHenrys - Amazing views from here. Did it from Stone Man Pass. It's got some route finding challenges. Stay near the ridge from Stone Man Pass and you should be able to pick up a cairned trail.

That's probably my top 3 so far. The Mummys are really nice too: Fairchild, Mummy, Hagues, Rowe Peak, but it's a long boring approach for 6 miles until you get to Lawn Lake. After Lawn Lake, it's great!
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

+1 on the Citadel, nice and close, beautiful approach up Herman or Dry Gulch, I like Herman better, nice little scramble finish AND you can avoid the scree-gulch by simply catching the ridge to the east summit early, class 3 up-climb in a dihedral, easy ridge walk from there. But if you want the west (lower?) summit as well, you do have to downclimb that class 3 east summit crux section, not a biggie, not exposed to more than 10 feet.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

A loop on Mt. Meeker is sweet. I went up the Loft and down its northeast ridge. The views of the diamond and the north-facing cliffs of Meeker are wonderful.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
BTL
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BTL »

The Skyline Traverse could be considered nice. :) Arrange an easy car shuttle (St Marys/Berthoud Pass), start at Berthoud Pass, ascend Mines and make your way N/NE to James Peak. Along the way, there are many nice 13ers (Flora, Eva, Parry, Bancroft). The views are great and you get to spend lots of time on above treeline ridges. There are even some bonus 12ers close by if you're in the mood for extra credit. Another plus is that almost all of the route is contained on one quad - Empire.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

Greenhouseguy and I did this hike. Makes a nice loop.

http://home.comcast.net/~greenhouseguy/ ... Report.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bradyj
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bradyj »

Bancroft Peak is a blast with the east ridge rappel and 5.2 climb right after. I might be partial though since I just did this one and it was my first class 5 mountaineering experience.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Squaretop from the area of Guanella Pass. Magnificent summit panorama in all directions. All the highest summits in the southern Front Range are easily viewed from there. Must take road from US 285 at Grant, though.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

I've only done a handful of 13ers, but I really enjoyed Mt. Eva and Mt. Flora.

If you go from Berthoud Pass, the first part of the trail isn't very exciting because you're just walking up a dirt road to Colorado Mines Peak. But afterwords, it's an enjoyable and easy hike and you can pretty much go as far as you want. Also, the trailhead is extremely easy to get to.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

The 13ers in the Blue Lakes/Lake Isabelle drainages of the IPW offer spectacular views of rugged mountains and lakes. Navajo/Apache/Paiute/Audubon, and the high 12ers aren't bad either (Pawnee/Shoshoni/Toll).
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rich H »

for me it would have to be any of the 13ers in the IPW or RMNP. I climbed the mummys last weekend and saw nobody until we were back down below the trees... because there are no dogs in RMNP the wildlife seems less timid so you can walk right up on deer and sheep etc - had a marmot basically come sit in my lap on ypsilon.

i love the front range granite and it seems like it all has been recently scraped from the last ice age so there isn't much loose rock
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

If you like scrambling, the Southeast Ridge route of Mount Audubon was nice.