Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cell Reception Pages - ADDED

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: Cell Reception Pages - ADDED

Postby tmathews » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:17 am

Bill, is there any way we can edit the notes that we entered? I just noticed that I accidentally entered an incorrect date on the note I created for Pyramid Peak (it was supposed to be 7/31, not 8/31).

Edit: Also -- any plans on linking the entries for a specific trailhead/summit to the individual TH status/summit pages?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:49 am

tmathews wrote:Bill, is there any way we can edit the notes that we entered? I just noticed that I accidentally entered an incorrect date on the note I created for Pyramid Peak (it was supposed to be 7/31, not 8/31).

That's already there - from the main cell page, click on "My Entries" and then click the edit button next to any of your entries.

tmathews wrote:Edit: Also -- any plans on linking the entries for a specific trailhead/summit to the individual TH status/summit pages?

That's the too - click on peak/trailhead name links on the left of each cell entry and you'll get a new window. Is that what you meant?
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby tmathews » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:00 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:That's already there - from the main cell page, click on "My Entries" and then click the edit button next to any of your entries.

Ah, yeah. I just fixed it. Thanks!

BillMiddlebrook wrote:That's the too - click on peak/trailhead name links on the left of each cell entry and you'll get a new window. Is that what you meant?

Actually, kinda the other way. When people are browsing the individual peak page, would there be a way for them to check the cell reception from there without having to navigate back to the cell reception page? I guess that would involve creating a separate page for each peak.

Edit: Well, maybe not. Maybe just link the cell reception page to each peak page?
Last edited by tmathews on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby telehead » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:04 am

I can personally attest that you get 3 bars from Verizon at the South Colony Lakes because I had to call out SAR to get a couple guys(not in my party) down from Broken Hand Pass.

I also got pretty decent reception from Willow Lake
"Going where the wind don't blow so strange, maybe off on some high cold mountain chain"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:17 pm

tmathews wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:That's already there - from the main cell page, click on "My Entries" and then click the edit button next to any of your entries.

Ah, yeah. I just fixed it. Thanks!

BillMiddlebrook wrote:That's the too - click on peak/trailhead name links on the left of each cell entry and you'll get a new window. Is that what you meant?

Actually, kinda the other way. When people are browsing the individual peak page, would there be a way for them to check the cell reception from there without having to navigate back to the cell reception page? I guess that would involve creating a separate page for each peak.

Edit: Well, maybe not. Maybe just link the cell reception page to each peak page?

It's on the Trailhead page but I'll also add it the route / peaks pages. Thanks!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:18 pm

telehead wrote:I can personally attest that you get 3 bars from Verizon at the South Colony Lakes because I had to call out SAR to get a couple guys(not in my party) down from Broken Hand Pass.

I also got pretty decent reception from Willow Lake

Great! Any chance you could add that info to the new pages?
Cell Reception (Add Entry)

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:22 pm

You really should plot this data on a map. Not because it's useful, but just because it'd be awesomer. :D
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 pm

You bet - I just want to get a large batch of data in there first. Then I'll add some additional text+graphic reporting.

Postby dsunwall » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:08 pm

With a smartphone using Googles "MyTracks" you can turn on signal strength tracking. More data than I care to view but it could be used to make a fairly detailed coverage map, with a lot of hiking. It does track even when out of coverage using the AGPS chip. I'll turn it on for my next high peak hike and find out what it looks like going in and out of coverage, haven't done that yet.

click on the blue bubbles.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100167101429070691744.00048b9814b8bcd8cc643&ll=39.390969,-104.877892&spn=0.104408,0.154324&t=h&z=13

Postby zclobes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Love the new feature. I have several family/friends back home that enjoy trip status reports via Twitter. Every few rest breaks, I pull out the cell and post my current altitude and condition.

I think it helps keep the wife at home at ease too...

Zack

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Another bump...
(I'll try to make this feature more prominent on the site so I can stop bumping this thread)

If you tried your cell phone on top of a 14er last weekend, we could use your input!
Cell Reception (Main Page)
Cell Reception (Add Entry)

Thanks!!!

Postby justinw501 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:57 pm

First off, I wanted to say what a great website this is. Unbelievable the amount of information on here, definitely makes one of my top 10 sites to check daily. Too bad I don't get out to Colorado as much as I want.

Maybe add another selection criteria drop down box that sorts by wireless Provider. Makes it easier to sort through. my .02. I have ATT and my significant other wants me to only hike mountains that have some sort of cell coverage if going by myself this year. Guess cell signals in the mountains have come along way in the last few years.

PreviousNext