Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

3000' rule - yay or nay?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: 3000' rule - yay or nay?

Postby screefieldstevie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:55 pm

g wrote:Too risky -- probably get runned over by a 4x4.

Yea you better watch out.......because it will probably be my ass behind the wheel...hehe Image
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh

Postby dsunwall » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 am

I find it a little disappointing to have the accepted standard for 14er ascents trashed badly here. yay for me.

Postby Johnson » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:12 am

mattpayne11 wrote:
bjohnson17 wrote:I hiked with a friend in Oregon this week. He is getting a bunch of peaks in that region. When I asked him about the 3000 foot rule he said, "what?"

That's because the rule was arbitrarily contrived by elitist 14'er climbers like most of us on this website 8)

That said, I too go for 3 and plan to do so. 8)
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Rich H » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:34 am

there is more than just the 3k rule...
Actually Rick Trujillo is responsible for a lot of this... Cave Dog who currently holds the speed record on the 14ers has summed it up... and explains most of the tricky peaks.

"1. The Colorado Rule:

a) one must ascend at least 3,000 feet in absolute elevation gain on foot from the base of the first peak of a series.
b) foot traverses of less than 3,000 feet are allowed between peaks through traverses.
c) one must descend on foot at least 3,000 feet in absolute elevation loss back to the starting point or end of a traverse."

at least for what he calls the Mighty Mega Mountain Marathon

http://www.thedogteam.com/14ers-Web_Pages/Colorado_Fourteeners/14ers-index-frame.html

I did this with the 14ers I have climbed so far... but it seems with the 13ers, I have flat out stopped playing the game. ie At first, I ran up Guanella Pass Road to get Wilcox - or Starting very low to get Arkansas instead of at Freemont Pass. This year I drive to Independence Pass park and start up to get Twining from there...it seems to be just more fun that way instead of running up the roads for miles. Plus I get more people to go with me instead of calling me names.

Postby cds » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:40 pm

I follow the 3,000 ft rule for 14ers (at least for the 1st time I climb a particular 14er). Every time this topic comes up I have to laugh at all of the "walk up a road" comments. You all know that all the 14ers have more than one route, right? By following the 3,000 ft rule I have had a lot of solitude up mountains where solitude is hard to come by during the summer and I have done it without walking up a bunch of dusty roads.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:19 pm

cds wrote:You all know that all the 14ers have more than one route, right?

No, they don't, unless you trespass. Democrat, Lincoln and Culebra have only one permitted route apiece.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby cds » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Jim Davies wrote:

No, they don't, unless you trespass. Democrat, Lincoln and Culebra have only one permitted route apiece.

You sure about that? If so you should probably tell Bill to take down the Lincoln Amphitheatre route description and I'll call Roach to let him know to remove the North Ridge route on Democrat from any future editions of his guide.

Postby bergsteigen » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:57 pm

cds wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:

You sure about that? If so you should probably tell Bill to take down the Lincoln Amphitheatre route description and I'll call Roach to let him know to remove the North Ridge route on Democrat from any future editions of his guide.

Culebra technically has 3... At least the map that the Carlos the Ranch manager hands out has 3 route lines on it.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby chasrobt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:58 pm

I like the hike from the Alma Bistro to Lincoln!

Postby JeffR » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:23 am

cds wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:

A permitted route and a documented route are very often mutually exclusive. Roach doesn't specifically state the legality of the majority of the routes - read the disclaimer.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:23 am

bergsteigen wrote:Culebra technically has 3... At least the map that the Carlos the Ranch manager hands out has 3 route lines on it.

That's true, but I think they all use the road to timberline. Doesn't the same ranch own the Carneros Lake (north face) drainage? That might be an interesting way to start lower, at least in the winter (I thought I saw a TR once where somebody skied that face).
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Previous