Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Everest Area

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Everest Area

Postby top pin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:30 am

Anyone with information about visiting the Everest area (probably not even up to base camp) with a young family (10 & 11 year old boys) would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:37 am

I know there are a few that have been to Everest on this site.. Cant recall their usernames.. I think Nickonov has been there.. You may want to send him an email.. I have been considering a trip with my girl to Katmandu and meeting up with REI Adventures.. They guide a trip to Everest base camp.. It looks pretty cool and you can get information for there site.. Hope this helps..

http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/asi ... verest.jsp
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

khumbu trekking

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:52 am

I was there last November. The Khumbu trekking region is a tourist trail. We only saw one group with a child. It shouldn't be a problem with children. The most dangerous part of trekking there is the yaks and dzhos that own the trails. There are deaths attributed to gorings of unaware or arrogant trekkers. Teach your children to stay uphill of these animals and get off the trail when they are coming.
The lodges are fairly civilized, you can order pizza, beer, and french fries in most of them. Take your time acclimatizing and hire a sherpa. The sherpa will be worth it for the entertainment factor alone, and also help immensely with logistics.
Lonely Planet has a guide book dedicated to trekking in Nepal, it's worth buying.

Postby nickonov » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:09 am

I've been up there, but it's been a while (six years). Everything 'cheeseburglar' mentioned above applies, and I would only stress that you take your time in gaining elevation. Also, unless you're simply looking to splurge, I'd recommend making your own way -- don't hire a guide, though a porter may be handy here and there. The Lonely Planet guidebook provides all the logistics you'll need.

Feel free to send a private message or post here for more information.

When you've finished your trek, head down to the Royal Chitwan NP a few hours south of Kathmandu. It's a nice contrast, and seeing the jungle animals will be priceless for your kids.

Postby Scott P » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:40 am

You must take a official service now apparently, so cost have risen a bit, but not that bad. Expect to pay around $15 to $20 day including all food, accommodation, and a porter. Whatever you do, don't book with an overseas company as their markup will be far higher (sometimes 1000%) and not as much money goes to the locals and doing so is pretty unethical. Have a good trip and feel free to PM me with any questions.