Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Redundant Posts - partial remedy

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: Redundant Posts - partial remedy

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Short trip reports are a tough one. There have been times I had current information to relate I went with a forum post. Some of those cases maybe could have been trip reports.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby greenwok » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:51 pm

Perhaps combining all of the Threads pertaining to "Dogs on 14ers" into one would be a start :lol:
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Postby conservationist » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:43 pm

Recent registration dates may be a better predictor of posting redundant topics than low post totals. Some of us are just quiet. :)
Don't be average.

Postby doggler » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:09 pm

IMO 15 posts may be a bit on the high side. I think by the time someone has started 2-3 threads about dogs on 14ers, easy hikes to do near Denver, is there snow on Quandary in September, etc, they've "learned" from the mean old crotchety types who shame them.

I'd err on the side of staying "nice". I think many here have patience for those who are just starting.

Postby Carl » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:18 pm

doggler wrote:IMO 15 posts may be a bit on the high side. I think by the time someone has started 2-3 threads about dogs on 14ers, easy hikes to do near Denver, is there snow on Quandary in September, etc, they've "learned" from the mean old crotchety types who shame them.

Hardly a shaming, and im not that old, but thanks. I like Bill's proactive approach better though.

Postby doggler » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Wesley wrote:
doggler wrote:IMO 15 posts may be a bit on the high side. I think by the time someone has started 2-3 threads about dogs on 14ers, easy hikes to do near Denver, is there snow on Quandary in September, etc, they've "learned" from the mean old crotchety types who shame them.

Hardly a shaming, and im not that old, but thanks. I like Bill's proactive approach better though.

Haha, definitely wasn't pointing you out!

Oh no doubt, I like it better too - for ME. For the good of the community and the niche that 14ers.com fills, though, I'm not so sure?

Postby tmathews » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:37 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Maybe some keywords in the 14ers.com base TR would help.

Maybe you should have more "required" fields when creating a new TR? For example: Have an additional dropdown menu for the route based on the main 14er selected and/or the trailhead used. This would certainly help to filter routes when searching through TR's.

Postby MUni Rider » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:35 pm

I'd err on the side of staying "nice". I think many here have patience for those who are just starting.

You forgot one: "Can my 2wd car make it to the Grays/Torreys Trailhead?"
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby Doctor No » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:22 pm

What if we had a mountain-specific FAQ for each peak? I imagine that most newbies head to the routes before going to the forum, anyhow (I did that for a bit when I first came here).

Postby EmmaM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:29 pm

d_baker wrote:
Bill, maybe a notice on TR's that are a paragraph long? Or set a minimum word requirement?

Killing two birds with one stone: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8531

Postby wasclywabbit » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:15 pm

MUni Rider wrote:

You forgot one: "Can my 2wd car make it to the Grays/Torreys Trailhead?"

Except that it will be titled "Can my 2WD make it to the greys and torres trailhead. :lol:
Ad alta per aspera: To the summit through difficulties.

Previous