Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Redundant Posts - partial remedy

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

Redundant Posts - partial remedy

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:13 pm

To reduce the large amount of redundant posts in the forum, users that have posted less than 15 times (this can change) will automatically get this pop-up message when they try to post a thread or reply in the forum:

Hopefully this will get more people to search the forum before posting.

Comments?
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Re: Redundant Posts - partial remedy

Postby tmathews » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:14 pm

LOL, quality! :mrgreen:

Postby ColoradoLawDobe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:22 pm

I hope this was not in response to my last post about Sherman and the 4-way traverse. I looked at the official Lincoln, Bross, Democrat, Cameron thread first, but I did not see what I was looking for. I also searched Sherman too! Just wanted to make sure I'm not the one that fueled the pop up!

Postby Presto » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:25 pm

No worry, ColoradoLawDoBe ... I'm sure I speak for others when I say there's plenty of culpability to go around. :wink: O:)
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Carl » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Nice Bill. I think this friendly reminder is great. One of the reasons I've heard from people who don't frequent this site as much as they used to is that they got tired of seeing the same topic discussed over and over again, e.g. the thread I posted in earlier this morning. Also good to let topics that haven't already been fully explored remain on the page a little longer.

The TGR forums approach to this probelm works well too, but your is a little more tactful :wink:

Postby dubsho3000 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:50 pm

I think part of the problem is the search function. I know that I can never find anything because most of my search words are ignored. I will admit that I am not a good searcher (also never been good with google and other search functions) so sometimes it's just easier to post a new thread and let doug shaw find the link for me.

I'm not sure what the solution is to that. Is there a FAQ for the search function?

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Bill, you might also refer them to your FAQ thread in the popup.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby d_baker » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:58 pm

ColoradoLawDobe wrote:I hope this was not in response to my last post about Sherman and the 4-way traverse. I looked at the official Lincoln, Bross, Democrat, Cameron thread first, but I did not see what I was looking for. I also searched Sherman too! Just wanted to make sure I'm not the one that fueled the pop up!

I wouldn't worry if I were you, because now you're up to 16 posts! just teasing...;)

Hmm...I thought climbing was about redundancy?

Bill, maybe a notice on TR's that are a paragraph long? Or set a minimum word requirement?

Postby Doctor No » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:14 pm

d_baker wrote:Bill, maybe a notice on TR's that are a paragraph long? Or set a minimum word requirement?

I'd agree with this - when it's just a link to some other site, or someone who lost their sunglasses, it's a little frustrating.

(Understanding that people don't want to type a trip report here, and on SummitPost, and on whereever else. It's still frustrating. And when you link to another site, then search terms don't work properly for those who like to search the reports for key words).

Postby Sugar Madison » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Doctor No wrote:I'd agree with this - when it's just a link to some other site,

I only post TRs on my own site for various reasons... having control over the content and editing content in just one place being the main reasons. I don't mind links to external TRs. As long as the TRs are good... it's all the same to me.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:21 pm

The "short" TR issue is a tough one because I don't want to discourage people from adding information that may be helpful to someone, even if it's an external link. If I see short ones that have no value, I usually send a message to the author. For something that's not a TR, I delete it.

Some people have personal sites where they keep their stuff - there's no reason why they can't post a link. At least people can get to the info from 14ers.com. Maybe some keywords in the 14ers.com base TR would help.

I realize there are also those that are just trying to promote their personal website. Those are pretty obvious.

Let me think about this one. Maybe there's more I can put on there to discourage useless TR posting. Thanks!
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks for a good day's worth of improvements, Bill.

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I realize there are also those that are just trying to promote their personal website. Those are pretty obvious.

Yes, they are :roll:
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Next