Dogs and 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sevenvii
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Dogs and 14ers

Post by sevenvii »

There's nothing wrong with New England.
Except that its full of New Englanders!
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

wildlobo71 wrote:
CorduroyCalves wrote:There's nothing wrong with New England.
... said the man who moved from New England to live in Colorado.

The appropriate ending of the statement above is "... as long as it stays where it is."

:lol:
You're assuming that my reasons for moving to Colorado are because of an implied lack of fondness toward New England, and that would be false.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

One thing that I cannot stands is irresponsible dog owners: e.g. refuse to clean up after the dog; think they don't have to comply with dog restriction because their dog is special, and of course don't keep their dogs on leash.

If you're willing to comply with dog restrictions and prohibitions that some areas have , then go ahead and get yourself a dog. Otherwise, you have no business get yourself a dog.
Urban Snowshoer
Trip Reports (4)

sgladbach wrote:There are lots of threads on this topic. My only real advice is to leave the dog at home (actully mine is tent/ camp trained) on any 14er w/rockfall potential.
Leave the dog at home on area that doesn't allow dogs. On too many occasions, I've had to deal with people taking their dogs where they don't belong. Their rationalizations for breaking the rules are all the same: i.e. my dog's special so [s]he should be allowed to go.
Urban Snowshoer
Trip Reports (4)

Inky6900 wrote:I

Considering Other Climbers:
1. Consider climbing on weekdays to avoid those who disagree with the idea of dogs climbing
2. Have your dog leashed or close by (based on regulations)

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Josh (& Sawyer)
I don't know many who have a problem with taking a dog in a area that allows dogs. However, I do have a problem with dog owners taking dogs into areas that prohibit dogs, not to mention giving lip-service to the idea of leashes.
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

Bring them (Clause) within the boundaries of the stated forest service/local authority regulations on pets - and please always keep them leashed - it's for everyone's safety and well being including your pets. It's like when you are onboard a commercial flight and the flight attendant during the safety briefing states regarding remaining seated with your seat belts fastened: "...for your safety and that of those around you..."
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

CorduroyCalves wrote:
You're assuming that my reasons for moving to Colorado are because of an implied lack of fondness toward New England, and that would be false.
No, just there was just enough pull from Colorado to make you to leave - like fresh air, sunshine, or personality. :D
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

CorduroyCalves wrote:There's nothing wrong with New England.
There are some great places to hike, backpack and climb in New England. And Acadia in Maine is an awesome place.

If I had to choose between Colorado and New England, it'd be Colorado. Having lived for three years in Connecticutt and gotten used to the ways of the people up there, I have to say I enjoyed my time there and would gladly return to visit.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
ArloGuthroJeep
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ArloGuthroJeep »

political animal wrote:One thing that I cannot stands is irresponsible dog owners: e.g. refuse to clean up after the dog; think they don't have to comply with dog restriction because their dog is special, and of course don't keep their dogs on leash.

If you're willing to comply with dog restrictions and prohibitions that some areas have , then go ahead and get yourself a dog. Otherwise, you have no business get yourself a dog.
I was up at Grays and Torrey's a couple weeks ago and a wife/husband proceeded to tell me that Colorado has a leash law and dogs must be on leash everywhere in the state. Was that you?
Magnum420
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Magnum420 »

It is my understanding that Colorado DOES NOT have a state wide leash law. Leash laws are up to the local counties/cities/areas/govs.

I was up Bierstadt a couple weeks ago and there were an amazing amount of dogs off leash. Personally I dont really care one way or the other as long as the owners have control over their pet. Overall, there was an amazing amount of people not following any kind of wilderness rules. Kind of sad...
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---
ArloGuthroJeep
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ArloGuthroJeep »

Magnum420 wrote:It is my understanding that Colorado DOES NOT have a state wide leash law. Leash laws are up to the local counties/cities/areas/govs.

I was up Bierstadt a couple weeks ago and there were an amazing amount of dogs off leash. Personally I dont really care one way or the other as long as the owners have control over their pet. Overall, there was an amazing amount of people not following any kind of wilderness rules. Kind of sad...
Colorado doesn't have a state leash law - but that didn't stop her from telling everyone on the trail there was a law for it :roll:
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

Magnum420 wrote:I was up Bierstadt a couple weeks ago and there were an amazing amount of dogs off leash. Personally I dont really care one way or the other as long as the owners have control over their pet. Overall, there was an amazing amount of people not following any kind of wilderness rules. Kind of sad...
I was up on Huron ealier in the month and all the dogs were off leash. That ended up leading to a minor dog fight over food on the summit. That was a first for me. Later, I witnessed a dog chasing a Marmot. The dog was not that much bigger than the Marmot and it did not harm the little guy. But I thought how rude of the owner to let his dog do that.

The Marmot lives there. The mountain is it's home. We all are just guests on the mountain and should treat it and the animals with respect. Just sayin'.....

Mike
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker