Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

mt.wilson trailhead still closed?!?!

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

mt.wilson trailhead still closed?!?!

Postby flatlander13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:50 am

Me and my father were recently in colorado and were planning on hiking Mt.Wilson.So we got up early in cortez and drove to the trailhead(once we found it), but when we got there it said the trail is closed do to it being on private property! So we didnt climb it. Does anyone know when it will open so we can climb it next year :?: . thank you!

P.S-the day wasnt wasted though, we drove to lizard head pass and did a small 3 hour hike there!
Last edited by flatlander13 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Administrator

Re: mt.elbert trailhead still closed?!?!

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:53 am

Which trailhead did you drive to? The Mt. Elbert trailheads are open.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Dorje1018 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:08 am

Considering that Cortez is too far from Elbert for a day hike (and the plan b hike from Lizard Head), I think the OP is talking about Wilson Peak via Silverpick.
"Climb if you will but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence and that momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step, and from the beginning think what might be the end"

Postby flatlander13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:16 am

OMG major TYPO i mean Mt.Wilson. And we too the Silverpick road and Silverpick basin and that is where the trail was closed. Im soo sorry for the typo!!!!!!!!!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:04 am

For Mt. Wilson, the Navajo Lake trailhead is best right now.

Silver Pick is undergoing a trailhead relocation and I don't believe it's open yet.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: mt.wilson trailhead still closed?!?!

Postby cbauer10 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:15 pm

The last I read on from the CMC was that it would be open in the Spring of 2011. The higher trails have been completed, but they are still working on the lower trails. We should respect the closure until it is opened to the public so as not to cause any conflict. There has been a long battle with this one that is almost over.