Indian Peaks - west side conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Indian Peaks - west side conditions

Post by Ridge runner »

Has anyone been on the west side of Indian Peaks recently? I'm specifically looking at the Lone Eagle area for this weekend, but I have no clue on what the snow is like up there. Any info would be great, thanks.
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Re: Indian Peaks - west side conditions

Post by Kevin Baker »

Hi, Stephanie:

I haven't been over to the west side of the IPW, but I did do Apache & Navajo on Monday. The snow was in great shape the entire day even though the temps soared into the 50's. Postholing was minimal on the way out. We're getting into the time of the year when the snowpack is mature and wet slabs are less of a concern, although not to say it couldn't happen. Probably the biggest concern now is old cornices breaking loose.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

Thanks, Kevin. What routes did you take for those two? I was kind of hoping things would be dry enough for Solo Flight on Lone Eagle, but given how the IPW is holding a fair amount of snow still I may re-direct my thoughts towards a snow climb.
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

We went up the Apache couloir and did the traverse over to Navajo. Up the west chimney on Navajo and down Airplane gully. The west chimney still held a bit of snow and ice, but it wasn't too bad if you watch your step. Here are the pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/shknbke/ApacheNavajo#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson