Mummy Range Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
longshanks
14ers: 29 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Mummy Range Conditions

Post by longshanks »

I'm looking at trying to climb Comanche Peak on Saturday, from the Pingree Park side. Has anyone been in this area recently? We will probably go up the Mummy Pass trail and then over Fall Mountain to the summit. I'm interested in how much snow is still in this area.

Thanks!
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Mummy Range Conditions

Post by madbuck »

<Bump>
Longshanks, or anyone, did you make it up there? What are the (snow/mud) conditions like?
Thanks!
longshanks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by longshanks »

Yeah, I did it with two friends on Saturday. We took the Old Morrill Trail (actually there is only a well-defined trail about 40% of the way there). The lower parts were surprisingly dry...only a few patches of mud. Once the trail started petering out around 11000 feet, there were some significant snow piles in the trees, which made bushwhacking more difficult. Above treeline, there were large snowfields still lying around...one particularly massive one on a steeper east-facing part of the ridge just above the rock outcroppings. We did have to cross a couple of large snowfields on our way around the huge one, but they were not steep at all. We didn't have any gear other than hiking boots. Above that huge snowfield, the ridge was dry all the way to the summit. There was quite a bit of running water above treeline, but no significant mud.
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

Hey longshanks,

When i climbed Comanche a few summers ago, I don't recall seeing the name "Old Morrill trail" anywhere. Is this sthe same trail that goes up to Emmaline and Cirque Lakes, or a differnt one?

I don't see much on Google about it, what can you tell me about the name or history? I really enjoy these kind of details and find they add much to my understanding of an area as well as enriching my experiences.

Thanks,

Jim
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
longshanks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by longshanks »

Yeah, I had never heard of this trail before about a week ago. It's a different trail from the Emmaline and Cirque Lakes trail...it's north of that trail all the way. Instead of going up the Fall Creek valley, it goes along the top of the lateral moraine on the north side of the valley and then follows the ridgeline all the way west to Comanche Peak. It is signposted pretty well for the first couple of miles from Pingree Park at this point...and I believe the last turnoff sign says that the trail was built in 2006. So the "old" part of the name isn't really accurate, although it may be a reconstruction of a historical route. I don't know anything about the name Morrill...possibly a historical rancher in the Pingree Park area? That's just a guess though.