Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020

Post by globreal »

travis19877 wrote:If something like the plaque above is what we want to do, I will recontact Kansas and see if he can find a price for something like that.
I would like to see a plaque like the one for Catherine Pugin. Travis, why not check into it and let us all know the cost and where to contribute.

And in the next few months we can research where a legitimate/acceptable location will be to place it on the mountain. I will be a happy to assist you when it's time to place it.
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

I hope it will be possible for some of those from our climbing community to attend the Celebration Service of Kevin's Life.

Here are the details:

Monday, June 21, 2010 10am
Cherry Hills Community Church
3900 Grace Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

Directions:
On the CO-470 go to the University Blvd exit. Turn south.
Highlands Ranch Pkwy Turn right or west.
Fairview Pkwy turn left or south.
Grace Blvd. turn left or east.
The church is on your right.
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

I'll be coming up from the south. Given the uncertainty of traffic on I-25 I plan on arriving in the area early say 8/8:30 - I believe there is a Marriott there west side of I-25 off Lincoln near the HP building - any of you available and interested are welcome to join me for a quick breakfast followed by a time of reflection and prayer for the family and the service in general (might do this over at the church following breakfast). Take my number along: 714.393.3091 also my e-mail should be in my profile as I'll have the bberry with me.

KG
globreal wrote:I hope it will be possible for some of those from our climbing community to attend the Celebration Service of Kevin's Life.

Here are the details:

Monday, June 21, 2010 10am
Cherry Hills Community Church
3900 Grace Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

Directions:
On the CO-470 go to the University Blvd exit. Turn south.
Highlands Ranch Pkwy Turn right or west.
Fairview Pkwy turn left or south.
Grace Blvd. turn left or east.
The church is on your right.
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
Laird
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Laird »

The memorial service for Kevin was beautiful.
God is Great...
ONWARDS Kevin you have touched many.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

I do wish I could have attended, but work obligations did not permit it. You were all in my thoughts and prayers. I knew it would be a beautiful service.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Agree with Laird. The service was very emotional for me but beautiful nonetheless. As was said in the service Kevin's ongoing inspiration will have profound effects on many many people. I can say personally he is definitely having a profound positive effect on me.

"Onwards"
weschun
14ers: 38  12 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weschun »

I also think that it was one of the most beautiful services I have ever been to.

I was expecting a funeral. It was more of a celebration of the life of an inspiring young man.

Onwards.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

weschun wrote:I also think that it was one of the most beautiful services I have ever been to.

I was expecting a funeral. It was more of a celebration of the life of an inspiring young man.

Onwards.
Im glad to hear Kevin can still move people even after death. It is very unfortunate for him to have passed so young.
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

As has been said, the service was very good. It wasn't treated as a sad occasion, but one celebrating life. Very good!!!

Onwards...
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Monroe11
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monroe11 »

I've thought about Kevin, Travis and their Families since the accident. Today was the day it all hit hard. Even though I was not at the services, my thoughts and prayers were. I've done nothing but search and read online about the young Man I met and climbed with once. I watched the video he made from his encounter on the Bells. I've read so many posts here from ones he knew him better than I. Kevin is truely a remarkable young Man, and lead by example. I would be honored to climb with you Travis in his memory, and I will dedicate my Summits to Kevin. Even though I only met him once, he has forever impacted my life.
The Man said TA-DA!!!
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Kevin's positive demeanor and his faith in God and Jesus was demonstrated in a profound way at this "Celebration of Life" Service. I am grateful to have been able to attend and to have known Kevin.

Onward....and Upwards!

Lynn, Beth, and Alyssa and the rest of the family...I can assure you, you will continue to be in my prayers for days to come.
Britt
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

I echo what Britt says - the service celebrating Kevin's life was everything Kevin would have wanted:

> Pointed to The Cross
> Surrounded by family and friends
> Lots on hiking and climbing the CO Rockies
> Lutheran High School Parker
> Mile High Calvary Chapel
> Praise and Worship Music
> Challenge from the Pastors and Kevin's parents to make our lives count the way Kevin set by his example

Lynn, Beth, Alyssa, Doris, Leroy, Kaye - as Britt says you will remain in our prayers, we will continue to be here with and for you. Thanks for sharing Kevin with us. We love you!

Travis - I can see why you and Kevin spent so much time together hiking and climbing - above all keep the legacy of Kevin's example of following ever so closely after the heart of his, your, our God. You have my commitment of praying with you to that end. We'll also look forward to many hikes with you in Kevin's honor. We love you!

We love you Kevin, and look forward to that day when we will see you face-to-face once again. My life has been deeply impacted never to be the same.

Onwards!

KG
Kevin Hayne Mt Antero 052210.jpg
Kevin Hayne Mt Antero 052210.jpg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
laplata Cross_10-27-08_0031_new.jpg
laplata Cross_10-27-08_0031_new.jpg (64.67 KiB) Viewed 6683 times
Last edited by greenwok on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)