Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020

Post by greenwok »

$500? Travis - I fully expect this number to be in the multiples of that - and in fact become an ongoing Memorial Fund that will benefit LHSP, SAR, young people, etc. for years to come. I intend to make regular contributions to this fund and look forward to the lives impacted in Kevin's memory and honor.

As for the palque, are you thinking something like this? http://www.fourteeners.org/ranges/sawat ... n_pic2.htm
travis19877 wrote:The plaque will cost roughly 200$.

We will have the memorial fund up and running by monday. Our goal is to raise 500$ and all of the money donated will go directly to the plaque and any extra money will be held for LHSP, SAR, 14ers.com, and the CFI. Once the money is totaled, it will be decided how the money be donated to the different organizations. Those of you who have offered to buy the plaque, feel free to donate the full cost of it and your money will go to just as good of a cause.
Last edited by greenwok on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

greenwok wrote:$500? Travis - I fully expect this number to be in the multiples of that - and in fact become an ongoing Memorial Fund that will benefit LHSP, SAR, young people, etc. for years to come. I intend to make regular contributions to this fund and look forward to the lives impacted in Kevin's memory and honor.

We will have the memorial fund up and running by monday. Our goal is to raise 500$ and all of the money donated will go directly to the plaque and any extra money will be held for LHSP, SAR, 14ers.com, and the CFI. Once the money is totaled, it will be decided how the money be donated to the different organizations. Those of you who have offered to buy the plaque, feel free to donate the full cost of it and your money will go to just as good of a cause.
I also hope we exceed this number, by a lot. I think it's very possible but i also think a realistic starting goal is necessary, anything beyond that would be extraordinary. If you think we should raise this number, thats fine with me. I think it's fine for individuals to post their own goals and motivate others to reach it. 500$ is my current goal, in which i would love to see exceeded.
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
greenwok
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

I think the goal could be whatever you want it to be :) It will be fun to watch it develop to any amount and benefit these organizations and perhaps others for years to come.
travis19877 wrote:
greenwok wrote:$500? Travis - I fully expect this number to be in the multiples of that - and in fact become an ongoing Memorial Fund that will benefit LHSP, SAR, young people, etc. for years to come. I intend to make regular contributions to this fund and look forward to the lives impacted in Kevin's memory and honor.

I also hope we exceed this number, by a lot. I think it's very possible but i also think a realistic starting goal is necessary, anything beyond that would be extraordinary. If you think we should raise this number, thats fine with me. I think it's fine for individuals to post their own goals and motivate others to reach it. 500$ is my current goal, in which i would love to see exceeded.
ryguy79
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ryguy79 »

I hadn't been on the site in a few days. Heartbreaking story. My prayers are with him and his family and friends.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

As for the palque, are you thinking something like this? http://www.fourteeners.org/ranges/sawat ... n_pic2.htm

I love the look of this plaque! I think this would be a great honor to do one like this for Kevin even if it costs more than $200. I'll be a contributor!
greenwok
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

+1
globreal wrote:

I love the look of this plaque! I think this would be a great honor to do one like this for Kevin even if it costs more than $200. I'll be a contributor!
Boomerang
14ers: 16  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Boomerang »

To all the Spot device users, and those following this tragic story. As follow up to the Spot devices malfunctioning on Tuesday, June 15th it is my opinion that neither device malfunctioned, rather the particular terrain and section that Travis and Kevin were in did not afford the optimal view of the sky. I've reviewed pictures of the "hourglass" section on Little Bear from both 14ers.com and the photos that Travis had taken, and feel this to be true. Travis has shared his account with me in detail, and where he was trying to send the SOS message from was this same bad section. He did not have his device, nor could he find Kevin's when he reached him to try again. Both families believe very strongly in the abilities of the device and wouldn't feel comfortable having any of us out there without it! Spot has followed up with us on numerous occasions, and with heavy hearts and loads of concern wishing to make certain that their devices work and perform at an optimal level. I believe they do! Sean Winders (Travis' dad).
travis19877
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

If something like the plaque above is what we want to do, I will recontact Kansas and see if he can find a price for something like that.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Boomerang wrote:To all the Spot device users, and those following this tragic story. As follow up to the Spot devices malfunctioning on Tuesday, June 15th it is my opinion that neither device malfunctioned, rather the particular terrain and section that Travis and Kevin were in did not afford the optimal view of the sky. I've reviewed pictures of the "hourglass" section on Little Bear from both 14ers.com and the photos that Travis had taken, and feel this to be true. Travis has shared his account with me in detail, and where he was trying to send the SOS message from was this same bad section. He did not have his device, nor could he find Kevin's when he reached him to try again. Both families believe very strongly in the abilities of the device and wouldn't feel comfortable having any of us out there without it! Spot has followed up with us on numerous occasions, and with heavy hearts and loads of concern wishing to make certain that their devices work and perform at an optimal level. I believe they do! Sean Winders (Travis' dad).
Thank you for that addendum, Mr. Winders. I purchased a SPOT II after they re-released it (it was previously recalled) and was a little bit concerned about it after reading Travis' account. It doesn't detract from the gravity of the situation, though....
leelaasa1
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by leelaasa1 »

I don't know a lot about the Spot devices but it seems strange that both would malfunction at the same time. Which makes sense that the devices were likely fine but they were just in a spot that could not reach a signal.
"I scrambled to the top of the precipice where Nick was waiting. "That was fun," I said. "You bet it was," said Nick. "Let's climb higher." "No," I said. "I think we should be heading back now." "We have time," Nick insisted. I said we didn't, and Nick said we did. We argued back and forth like that for about 20 minutes, then finally decided to head back. I didn't say it was an interesting story.” - Jack Handy
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

leelaasa1 wrote:I don't know a lot about the Spot devices but it seems strange that both would malfunction at the same time. Which makes sense that the devices were likely fine but they were just in a spot that could not reach a signal.
Re: the SPOT devices. Just a thought. If they had a personal GPS device on then and it was on this is most likely the cause of the malfunction. Its not necessarily a malfunction but rather just a matter of fact that other GPS devices will interfere with SPOT if they are too close to one another.
travis19877
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

BAUMGARA wrote:
leelaasa1 wrote:I don't know a lot about the Spot devices but it seems strange that both would malfunction at the same time. Which makes sense that the devices were likely fine but they were just in a spot that could not reach a signal.
Re: the SPOT devices. Just a thought. If they had a personal GPS device on then and it was on this is most likely the cause of the malfunction. Its not necessarily a malfunction but rather just a matter of fact that other GPS devices will interfere with SPOT if they are too close to one another.
We did not have personal GPS devices.