Kevin Hayne Photo Memorial Thread

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Kevin Hayne Photo Memorial Thread

Post by tmathews »

I made a brief mention of creating a memorial thread for Kevin that I thought went unnoticed, but I've received a couple of recent inquiries about it, so I guess we should go ahead and get one started. Wherever you go in the upcoming days/weeks/months -- if you want to take print-out or a sign dedicating your summits to Kevin (i.e. -- "In memory of Kevin Hayne" or something similar) and photograph yourself with it, post it here. If you have photos of Kevin from past hikes, feel free to post them as well.

Also -- If you think this idea is in bad taste, please let me know and I'll delete the thread.
leelaasa1
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kevin Hayne Memorial Thread

Post by leelaasa1 »

I think the idea is in great taste in that we can always take Kevin with us when we climb. I actually do that with another friend who passed away two years ago from cancer at the very young age of 31. He was so connected to the earth, as was Kevin, so it is very fitting and appropriate to honor them that way. I keep a laminated photo of him in my backpack when I climb and we can do that with Kevin. If Kevin's parents would be okay with it, perhaps we can get a good quality photo of him to do that? Thanks, tmathews. Your heart is obviously in the right place.
"I scrambled to the top of the precipice where Nick was waiting. "That was fun," I said. "You bet it was," said Nick. "Let's climb higher." "No," I said. "I think we should be heading back now." "We have time," Nick insisted. I said we didn't, and Nick said we did. We argued back and forth like that for about 20 minutes, then finally decided to head back. I didn't say it was an interesting story.” - Jack Handy
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Kevin Hayne Photo Memorial Thread

Post by anasarca76 »

I liked tmathews' idea about dedicating a hike to Kevin. Kevin, this ones for you man. RIP

mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kevin Hayne Memorial Thread

Post by mtgirl »

leelaasa1 wrote: If Kevin's parents would be okay with it, perhaps we can get a good quality photo of him to do that? Thanks, tmathews. Your heart is obviously in the right place.
Check out Kevin's summit photo in his recent Antero trip report - GREAT picture. You can see by the look in his eyes that there's no where in the world he would rather be at that moment.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Yalegirl09
14ers: 43 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yalegirl09 »

tmathews wrote:I made a brief mention of creating a memorial thread for Kevin that I thought went unnoticed, but I've received a couple of recent inquiries about it, so I guess we should go ahead and get one started. Wherever you go in the upcoming days/weeks/months -- if you want to take print-out or a sign dedicating your summits to Kevin (i.e. -- "In memory of Kevin Hayne" or something similar) and photograph yourself with it, post it here. If you have photos of Kevin from past hikes, feel free to post them as well.

Also -- If you think this idea is in bad taste, please let me know and I'll delete the thread.
Terry I think this thread is a great idea... I'm heading to Princeton and Tab with Sandy this weekend. I'll post pics when I return.
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Post by benners »

Here's a shot of Kevin, Eric, and I on our climb of Missouri last May:

This was the only time I had the privilege of climbing with Kevin. I'll echo the statement from others that he was wise beyond his years, and I have no doubt that his zeal for the Lord will impact many for years to come. As was stated in his Maroon video, Kevin's work on this Earth is far from complete, even after his passing. Kevin, rest in peace my friend.
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Kevin Hayne Photo Memorial Thread: Save a Place for Me Kevin

Post by greenwok »

This expresses my feelings and comments to Kevin perfectly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUjL6bVD2vw

Big hugs to you Kevin!
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

I climbed the bells traverse shortly after Kevin fell last year and contacted him regarding his fall. We emailed a bit and discussed possibly climbing someday together. I would like to dedicate any hike to him that he did not check off on his list. I will at a minimum take Kevin in Spirit much like his partner will and hopefully post a pic on this thread if it is still alive. I must say that a year ago when I was talking to him on the phone, I remember him being very mature for a 17 year old.

See you at the top Kevin!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 41 14
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

Mt. Yale (2009)
Huron Peak road (2008)
Good luck breeds bad habits.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

anasarca76 wrote:I liked tmathews' idea about dedicating a hike to Kevin. Kevin, this ones for you man. RIP

anasarca76....very nice! Good job my friend.
shadez
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by shadez »

I know it's only Gray's but it took me three tries get up there. Forgot the sign I made, but improvised. Dedicated my first successful summit to Kevin, and said a brief prayer for him and his Family while I was up there. Rest In Peace Kev...Image
"Dream as if you'll live forever - Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
jduncan
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by jduncan »

I didn't know Kevin personally, but this was my way of saying thank you and letting him know that through his passing, he impacted my life.

Thank you Kevin.
IMG_1304 reduced.jpg
IMG_1304 reduced.jpg (114.42 KiB) Viewed 8858 times
Erik Weihenmayer - "There are summits everywhere. You just have to know where to look."
http://mountainchild.org
http://www.vintagesparkphoto.com
http://joshrduncan.wordpress.com/