Twin Sisters Info

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Real----Estate
14ers: 2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Twin Sisters Info

Post by Real----Estate »

I was thinking of doing a trek up Twin Sisters this Friday or Saturday.

Two weekends ago a group went up and said "they did not summit due to trail conditions".

Has anyone been up this way in the past 4 weeks or so? I would be one to say that the conditions have to be doable with boots and at worst micro spikes. No?

Any info is appreciated.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Re: Twin Sisters Info

Post by lordhelmut »

Del_Sur did this recently, may want to shoot him a message. He mentioned summiting was pretty straighfoward, but I'd speak with him directly to get a full report.
Real----Estate
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Real----Estate »

Thanks!
"The majority of men meet with failure because of their lack of persistence in creating new plans to take place of those which fail"
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Real----Estate wrote:Two weekends ago a group went up and said "they did not summit due to trail conditions"
If that's the case, then it's best to say conditions have improved.
Sunday, the trail was completely dry until we neared the low treeline. Some old guy carrying a look of disbelief and one trekking pole told us, "You better get ready for some postholing." I took this with a grain of salt, since no one who was descending except him had mentioned this, and no subsequent people coming down had wet feet or pants. Near the top, any snow was easily dodged by staying on the side of the trail where it had melted. The summit area talus was mostly dry.
We hiked in trail runners. We didn't take or need microspikes or gaiters. You shouldn't need them either.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
EricB
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EricB »

I hiked up Twin Sisters on May 30 and there was some deep snow higher on the trail near treeline. I had microspikes for a little extra traction, but there were plenty of people in just tennis shoes slipping along the trail. I imagine that the snow has softened a bit so there's likely to be more postholing, but it seems a lot more must have melted in that time, too.
Real----Estate
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Real----Estate »

Great, I will just throw the spikes in the pack just incase but hopefully it will be a nice trail runner day.
"The majority of men meet with failure because of their lack of persistence in creating new plans to take place of those which fail"
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Seriously, dude. There is no need for spikes unless you're into carrying extra weight. The only snow we walked on was not steep and it easily supported our weight (at 1:20 p.m.). Plus, that was off-trail, avoiding the knee-deep holes other people chose to needlessly suffer through because they couldn't fathom class 2 hiking, even for 50 feet.
So, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1-g9GH1qpg.
I like your signature quote.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

HAHAH! Well played del sur...well played.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
Real----Estate
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Real----Estate »

lol thanks