Bison Peak Status

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kfordyce
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (2)

Bison Peak Status

Post by kfordyce »

Has anyone tried to get up Bison Peak recently? Thinking about a Friday trek, but not in the mood to posthole. Any status update would be appreciated! I'd also be interested to know if there are good camping spots (including water!) on the route from the Tarryall area.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Bison Peak Status

Post by zoomie83 »

Not sure about the camping spots but there's another thread about the LCW and I think someone went up Bison Peak last weekend and encountered very little snow. Have fun. Its a beautiful and unique area.
"Derek" on this site could probably provide good camping info.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Check out this thread:

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... 36#p297336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Camping: I camped in a spot I really enjoyed on the way up Bison, however its only about 2 miles in. You can continue higher and camp near the pass (about 4 miles in) but I can't think of any water in the area...I could be wrong though.

If you're interested in where I camped, heres the location: When hiking up the Ute Trail, you will pass underneath a large downed tree, creating somewhat of an arch over the trail. (Cant miss it) Shortly after passing under the tree, the trail turns right (east) and crosses a stream. Don't cross the stream, instead leave the trail and head left up the bank of the stream. On top of the bank, the area flattens out. Continue north following the stream for about 100 yards and you'll come across some nice spots.

--Derek

**This is based on memory while sitting at a desk, so the distances may be a little off. And I am just assuming the downed tree is still there. It was last time I was on the trail, I think around May of last year.
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

Not a recent conditions update, but I hiked up to Bison Peak the first weekend in June last year and snow was not an issue at all. There were still a few patches left above timberline, but nothing to worry about and the trail was completely clear. I would think it won't be an issue now, either, since this was a low snow year (even with a cooler/snowier spring) and it's been pretty warm lately.

I did camp at the trailhead when I did this hike. If you bring a filter there is a river right at the start of the trail. This is a sweet hike, enjoy!
Corndiggs
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Corndiggs »

The only water on the Ute Trail route as of Saturday 5/29 ends when you cross the stream about 1.5 miles in. It wasn't much, but enough to filter IMO. You'll see this crossing on a topo map at 9,200ft. The map shows a right fork to the stream paralleling the trail past this point but don't count on it for water!

Camping wise - The area up trail from the crossing flattens out enough that I'm sure a good spot could be found.
Can't Get No Higher!

"Home grown, Colorado's own. Colorado bred, Colorado to the bone. Colorado dread, I got Colorado soul and I'm gonna rep Colorado everyone that I go!" - Quintessential