Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Long's Peak Camping

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Long's Peak Camping

Postby chudimac » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:25 am

We want to camp in the boulder field at Long's Peak to get a head start in the morning on the hike. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that you have to make reservations way ahead in order to get a spot. When I looked it up, it looks like the official Long's Peak Campground does not take reservations. Is this the campground that we want to be at in the boulder field or is there a different campground that I'm overlooking?

Re: Long's Peak Camping

Postby rijaca » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:44 am

chudimac wrote:We want to camp in the boulder field at Long's Peak to get a head start in the morning on the hike. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that you have to make reservations way ahead in order to get a spot. When I looked it up, it looks like the official Long's Peak Campground does not take reservations. Is this the campground that we want to be at in the boulder field or is there a different campground that I'm overlooking?

The Longs Peak campground is at the trailhead. You're looking for a backcountry campsite at the Boulderfield.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby CO Native » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:48 am

This should answer all your questions: http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/upload/backcountry_camping_guide_2010-2.pdf

The boulderfield's campsite code is 044.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby peter303 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:14 pm

The Boulder Field is 2/3rds the distance in and 2/3rds the climbing amount.
But that first 2/3rds is relatively easy walking.
But the last third is the hardest part with the thin air and rock scrambling.
There is a campground, toilet and water there, permit required.

Theres another campground near the trailhead, first-come, first-serve.
Dont even consider it on a summer weekend.
I dont know how any gets any sleep there with hikers coming and going 24 hours a day.

There is another camping area in the forest about a mile from the trailhead called Goblin Forest.
And one called Battle Mountain three miles in.

There are some Indian Peaks campgrounds like Peaceful Valley a half hour down Hwy 7.
Theres Rocky Mountain Park and Estes Park campgrounds about that distance too.

Postby ketel1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:44 pm

I booked a site at the Boulderfield last month for late July. I am sure you get hikers at all hours, but my goal is to be up early and down early, with some sleep in me. I would rather awake at 4:30 or so, to miss the majority of the ants marching up and back. Maybe I am deluded, but I have friends who did it that way and they felt strong and summited and made it down with no serious crowd problems or weather issues.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby Nelson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:36 am

I guess it's because its early in the season but I just showed up on May 30th and got a spot in the boulder Field. As a matter of fact I was the only one there! They do charge $20. I was also surprised to see that I could find water there at 12,700! That makes life easier.

I should add that I agree with the comment about camping lower or just going from the trailhead. The Boulder field is a long was to schlepp the big pack.

Nelson

Postby aubreyja » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Nelson,

My buddy and I are planning to do the keyhole route on June 9th. We haven't seen any recent trip reports. How were the conditions?

Thanks,
Jason

Postby pbakwin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:35 pm

See the Loft thread - but everything will be totally different by June 9.

Postby somethingrandom » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Huge threadbump but the link at the beginning no longer works.

My bump has two purposes. 1, either how I do I find the people to reserve somewhere, or...

2: Anyone here have one you will not be using for the weekend of 9/10-11 (either night, 9th or 10th) and would be up for a slight transfer??

I know these are few and far between but I am feverishly hoping :D
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:53 pm

I just did Long's on Thursday. The official Long's Peak campground is first come, first serve. Get there EARLY! I'm talking around 11-12pm. We got up there around 10pm and everyone kind of laughed at us. There's nothing close besides that campground, and it's small. One little circle of sites. We hiked into the woods and slept under the stars for our four hours of sleep.

Postby globreal » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:21 pm

somethingrandom wrote:Huge threadbump but the link at the beginning no longer works.

My bump has two purposes. 1, either how I do I find the people to reserve somewhere, or...

2: Anyone here have one you will not be using for the weekend of 9/10-11 (either night, 9th or 10th) and would be up for a slight transfer??

You have to physically write a letter to request a reservation for a backcountry permit in advance:

Rocky Mountain National Park
Backcountry Office
1000 Hwy 36 W
Estes Park, CO 80517

The Boulderfield is 7 miles.
Battle Mnt. is 2.8 miles and is for groups only.
Goblins Forest is 1.2 miles up the trail.

There is a $20 reservation fee which you pay the day you pick up your permit.

The campground next to the trailhead parking lot is a first-come, first-served and is also $20/night. Or you can drive 2.1 miles south on Hwy 7 and camp for $9/night in the Meeker Park Overflow campground. Look for the large Roosevelt National Forest sign and that's where you turn right.
Good luck.
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby Sgt_Wilky » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Hello,
We stayed there last night, and I made reservations way back in April just by calling them. They sent me a letter, and I went down the day before and purchased the actual permit. I would highly recommend that you attempt to summit the day of, and then rest the night, and pack out the next morning. You won't be sorry that you did, IMO!
"The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end" -Genghis Khan

"I sat on top and was immediately addicted. I must do more of this." -SuperPolok

"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." -Jean Paul Richter